1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help Bidding

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by shaunnshelly, Sep 22, 2011.

1. shaunnshelly

shaunnshelly Senior Member

When do you stop bidding? When is enough, enough? Do you sacrifice quality for quantity? Do you take everything offered and hope for the best? These questions pertain to large commercial lots. Equipment shouldn't be a problem (as long as their is no break downs). I worry about help showing up on time or at all.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Better to be 90% full then 100% and do a sloppy job on all of them.
  3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

This year I plan to stop bidding march 30th and start again on april 2nd (its a weekend) Never sacrifice quality for quantity, don't be ashamed to turn down work, or sub it out
  4. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Nope I take all I get at my price, never do a job unless u make money. Theta are always people looking for work subs,labor. I have signed a contract after first blizzard last year the company could not do it to satification I did the work and turned it into a 5 year contract.
  5. shaunnshelly

shaunnshelly Senior Member

At what point do you decline contracts when the price is right? I guess what I'm getting at is, if we get less than adverage snowfall I make out. But if we get hammered my life becomes more stressful. I don't mind paying the bills on large snowfall events. I just don't like dealing with the stress of the help. On the other hand. If I decline a contract and we have less than adverage snowfall I will be kicking myself for not taking contract.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Laws of avenges,If you do take on more and get a big snow season and rip you hair out you can take the extra money and by a toupee!
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The only way you loose money is on 1 year contracts. On a 5 year contract things are going to work out in the end. If you sit down and work out how much money is left at the end of each night you might as well quit now.

I send the guys when it snows. I never think about the money. I have enough confidence in my pricing to know I will be OK. I hope there is no way I could ever loose money.

Only take on enough work that you have the man power for. Subs are great but you need the right ones.
  8. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Know what's enough

Know what your production possibilities are for your equipment and subs and stop at that. That's my .02 worth. It's easy to kick yourself in a slow winter if you didn't overbook. However, the loyalty created in a hard winter by giving the service you promised is well worth it if the jobs are priced properly.

We take fewer jobs at a higher price and provide the service. We did it the other way from 1979 to 1987 and it got really old. When we switched it around, life became much easier and our clients were happy and loyal.