1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help bidding industrial business

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Lawnman883, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

I am fairly new still and am starting to branch out this winter and try to bid on some commercial/industrial. please see attached picture and give me an idea the ballpark i should be in to bid. they are looking to have truck service only, no loader and they want the loading areas scraped clean. they are looking for snow not to build up more then 2" at any time and they operate 24/7, 365. They are looking for salting as well. Based on this description and the picture how many hours should i plan this to take with 1 truck and a blizzard 810 plow with about 2" of snow. Any suggestions or ideas greatly appriciated!

Attached Files:

2. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

I'll be honest. After long debates lately about helping others with bids online....it's kind of hard to continue to contribute to these kinds of posts.
    You may be no where near my area, though, your competition or the current snowplower for this property may not be expecting what is about to hit him.
    Also...one truck?
    2" of snow?
    and salting??
    You better build a shed there and put a bed and fridge in there. You'll be living on this property.

IMO, you'll need help.
    Though, give them a price that is worth it for you and don't undercut yourself. Especially since you will be working a lot on this one.
  3. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

Well, thats the kind of feedback i need. if i need to hire another truck then i will. the thing that appeals to me is it is close to home and if i can make enough off it to get me thru the winter i may be able to get away with this and the few residentials i have now. Otherwise i can bid smaller places and justd o more of them. Last year I only bid residentials and had about an 80 mile route and it killed me i spent most of my time on the road, in traffic, wasting fuel. Just trying to keep the route tighter and more profitable...
  4. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

Oh also i am in southwest michigan so we get our fair share of lake effect....
    i'm looking for an hourly estimate and a per push estimate. Estimate on hours will at least give me a starting place...
  5. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

Yes. Another driver definitely.
    You can have him meet you there everytime.
    You'll be doing a lot of backdragging and cleaning up with this property.
    In my opinion, you're looking at 8+ hours with one guy for plowing, cleanup and salting.
    Do they also want the walks cleared/salted?
  6. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

Yes, walks need to be taken care of too around the building. i have a 42" snowblower and 54" blade available for walks mounted on a Deere tractor. Also a walkbehind 20" blower available as well.
  7. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

it would be better if you had another truck and possibly a loader to scrape it clean down to the cement. It would be better if you charged by the hour because you will probably make more. Just be prepared to spend all your time there ! Our commercial properties require our trucks to be there for anything over a inch.
  8. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

They dont want to pay the price for a loader to be on site and also dont want to pay to have piles moved. i guess its fortunate that they have a lot of land surrounding the site to push the piles as far as I can early in the season...
  9. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

......It needs a loader or two to be done efficiently. I worked at a bottling plant as a Yard Jokey and Shipping Supervisor at night. That was about twice that size. 500 drop trailer slots usually only at 300 capacity though, 62 bay doors in the shipping side alone, turning about 10-15 trucks every hour (at night, more during the day) not to mention the drop trailer movements.

Here is a Ariel prior to the expansion.....It jumped 3 times that size with no exaggeration.

Equipment: They had 3 huge loaders with pushers, & 3 one tons with V blades, 2 of which had sanders. They also starting using a skid steer at the end of the season for the dock doors (not sure why they did that). With all that they had everything they could do to keep the gates cleared on 6" + storms. Arguably, you would need less then half that equipment but you need more then what you got right now. Unfortunately, I forgot what they were paying them, but it was only rumored anyway.

Don't forget about the time factor either. Ask them what there traffic situation is, how many loads they push or take in during a day. Truck traffic sucks too boot. Then there is the clean up and moving of all the trailers, the idiot drivers picking up loads that don't think when bob tailing in the snow, then they can't get under there trailers and need you to drop what your doing and plow under there pin, then they block your path with a empty 53' trailer for hours on end because they can't get any traction, the yard jockeys flying around like there wild monkeys on crack. There is no way your getting it done with one truck, you'd definitely need to hire help. As others pointed out, you would have to be committed there for the duration of the storm....and then some. Forget about any other work unless your subbing them out. They will hold you to your contract, & they won't care about "were going as fast as we can" or "Joe Smoe didn't show". If it were me doing it, I would price it with the right equipment, guys & time constraints. If you get it, good, otherwise it's someone else's nightmare.

Side Note: If that photo is anything like what it is today, I can tell you from experience, they have trailer parking issue in the worst way...I bet it's a nightmare when the snow starts to fly. They will start stacking them right in your way when the snow builds up, otherwise you'll need to move all the snow down to the other end in that open area.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  10. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

How many linear feet of walks and whats the square footage of the place... Lot is basically zero tolerance
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Listen to whay Ryan has to say. That place is going to be tough. I don't how you could even plow most of that with a pickup, and be efficient. There's no place to put the snow. You are going to carry it forever. Who did it last year, and what did they use for equipment? I would think you need a loader, skid steer, and pickup to have a chance in there. And you really should have something to reach under those trailers to clean up so the trucks can back in.

I don't think this is the right place to start learning commercials.
  12. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

If you have great subs,equipment and payroll money...anything is possible; you will need assistance
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I realize I'm stepping out on a limb here based on this and the first post in this thread, but aren't you supposed to be the professional and tell them how you are going to clear it?

It's really none of their business how you perform the job if they accept your price.

As for pushing the piles back as far as you can early in the season, are they paying the tow bill for when you bury your truck in mud?

Are they paying for your transmission rebuild when you burn it up pushing that amount of snow with something not designed for pushing that much that far?

Nobody wants to pay to have piles moved, but it is called the cost of doing business.

There is no way in the world you are going to keep the pavement bare without salt.

If you get this job, it should be your only one, because once lake effect kicks in at 2" or more per hour, you won't be going anyplace. Depending on where SW MI is for you.

Methinks they know that you are inexperienced and are using that against you.
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The last time you looked at this property, was it piled to the gills with trailers? Maybe the day Google decided to snap this pic, it was unusual. But I doubt it. Bid this too low, and you'll be exhausted, bankrupt, divorced, and depressed
  15. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Judging by that pic you would have no where to put he snow honestly. There is no way you can keep them happy with just a pickup. You need a loader, a pickup, and a bobcat to clean up. A saltbin on site would also be a good idea.