1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help Bidding Apt Complex

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Chaseh03, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Chaseh03

Chaseh03 Junior Member

Need help bidding a large apartment complex. I've been plowing on my own for 4 seasons (mostly commerical and very little residential).

I've been approached by a large apartment complex to do their plowing this upcoming winter. The apartment complex (about 500 units & 500,000 sq ft of pavement) has no backdragging and plenty of spare parking spaces to pile snow. I'm preparing bids for both seasonal and per push with salt and sidewalks will be including in the price.

I have 2 plow trucks currently (current service provider only uses 1 apparently) but able to add more if needed. As far as the sidewalks are concerned I'm thinking either an ATV w/ V-plow or putting plows on my ZTR's.

I'm attaching an overhead picture to give everyone a visual.

How long do you think this will take with that list of equipment?

2. fairwaymowing

fairwaymowing Member

Hours to do a decent job. Seems like your in over your head. How many employees do you have? You need a sidewalk crew and plowing crew. Also, sure no 'back dragging' but after a decent snowfall you will spend hours cleaning up while less cars in parking spots. I would be concerned you wouldn't be able to take care of all your customers if you currently have a decent size route. From my experience these big complexes are not willing pay enough. I wouldn't even submit a bid with just two trucks
  3. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

500000 feet is about 12 acres. I figure 1 acre per truck on an open lot with 2-3". You can normally do it in less than an hour but that's the formula I use. With the parking places, and curbs, I wouldn't even think of touching this property with 2 trucks. You say no backdragging. You don't have to clean parking spaces? If it's opening the lanes only, you have a fighting chance. I would want 2 or 3 atvs on site. Hope there are no steps.
  4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Dedicated skid steer, one truck, a shovel crew and a high bid is what I would go with. Either that or a polite "no thank you, I'm too busy".