1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help Bidding a Property

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by brianhscott3, Nov 11, 2014.

1. brianhscott3

brianhscott3 Junior Member

First time bidding snow, have plowed before and will be using a 8'2" Boss VXT on a Dodge Ram 2500 property is in NJ so I know pricing is different in different regions

Info
    Parking Lot is Gravel and snow can be put anywhere
    30,000 sqft
    Approx 60 wide by 300
    has a small rectangle area 100 x 50
    a circle drop off out front 16 wide road x 100 linear ft

Looking for a 3" Trigger + per inch after and Salt

I want to try a seasonal rate to help cover insurance and things but I also in per event to me i think 3" trigger is no good i am going to give them a 2" trigger cause i dont want snow packed from drivers

Let me know what you think

2. brianhscott3

Attached the Lotsize.com image

Attached Files:

• Doc6.pdf
      File size:
      210.9 KB
      Views:
  3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Me, here, $130 per push.

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

$4200 for the season

Also, salt doesn't work very well on gravel ;)

5. brianhscott3

So for $130/push. If theres a 2 inch trigger and theres a 6" snowfall its 3 pushes correct? Billed at 390.

Thanks

6. brianhscott3

What would you suggest instead of salt?

And the seasonal rate is unlimited if we have a crazy winter? Does that include salt ?

7. cdmckane

cdmckane Member

This is why my contracts state "Client allows Contractor to decide when it's appropriate to plow". What happens if you put a 2" trigger, but don't get to it until there's 3" on the ground? Looks like your $390 just got trimmed to $260 if you only get there twice. I also show each push on the invoice, as well as the amount of snow and time that I arrived on site.

8. brianhscott3

Our snow log has all that information so ill be sure to add to invoice details i like the verbiage for the contract similar to what I had.

9. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Sand or washed dust

All inclusive

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Very fine rock salt works to a point I have one gravel lot Once the rock frozen down I will spread 3/8'' chip rock mostly for traction

11. Buswell Forest

from NH

If your client wants no more then 2 inches of accumulation, then plow every 2 inches.
    I always figured the "trigger" was merely the minimum amount needed to require a push, but not necessarily when you go plow in a bigger storm. One of my clients wants anything over 2 inches pushed, but wants it done as few times as I am willing to push, so I set 12 inches as my "push twice" number.
    So don't assume, make sure you and your client have a clear understanding.

12. jerpa

jerpa Member

I'll play devils advocate. If they had tiered pricing at $130 for 1-3", then 3.1-6" would likely be around $195 and 6.1-9" would be around $295. At 2 pushes on a 6" storm I'm still ahead with the possibility of 3 pushes if time allows. On an 8" storm I make significantly more even if I only go 3 times, lose very little if I only make it twice, and make out like a bandit if I go 4 times. Naturally this all must be based on the clients expectations of service.

A trigger also gives the customer an idea of the maximum they will pay based on the total accumulation. With a 6" storm on a 2" trigger the most they will be serviced is 3 times. If I can only make it twice they pay less.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  13. brianhscott3

I think tiered pricing is what im looking for do you have a certain factor you use in jumping up to the next tier?

I also believe ill send a seasonal quote as that may sound like a better deal.

14. jerpa

jerpa Member

I don't do tiered pricing but most seem to take the base and raise it by 1.5 for the next tier, then 1.5x that price for the 3rd tier and so on. I bid per push with a trigger or seasonal. I will generally adjust my bid so whichever plan I want them to take is a better deal and if they don't I still make what I feel is fair for the other option. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

15. brianhscott3

What trigger depth do you use?

2" ... 3"...?

16. Buswell Forest

from NH

I need at least 3" of snow to bother going out, or my clients get mad. I wait till the storm is over for anything under 12". If the forecast is for 13 or above, I will plow everyone at the approximate halfway point, and charge 2x. If we get a humdinger, say 20+ inches, I will plow most 3x. A few I might just do 2x, only because I am too tired to bother and the places are empty summer homes.
    I use the 12" depth because we get only 4 or 5 over that as a rule, and at that depth my clients can understand me plowing twice. I have very frugal clients. It's a NH Yankee thing.

17. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Mostly 1'' is the triggers on Com. I have. I plow with the storm
    I have one that has no trigger. If its a dusting I'm there doing something

Gravel lot I have its 3'' trigger

My 10 Res. Driveways are done after the snow or every 6'' which ever comes first