1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help bidding 20-80 Miles of sidewalk

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by DHaight10, Oct 21, 2007.

1. DHaight10

DHaight10 Junior Member

The city awarded the contract to clear 80 miles of sidewalk. Unfortunately I did not win the bid, however, the individual that did win the bid wants me to give him a price to subcontract part of the job. I will be quoting for 20-30 miles of sidewalk snow removal (5 feet wide). For the most part it will be lots of hills and curves & and I'll be using an ATV & plow. I assume I will be able to average about 8 - 10 MPH. I don't really want to bid by the hour as I would prefer to bid by the foot or the mile. What would be reasonalbe? My initial thoughts are a minimum of $20 / mile? Is that fairly accurate?
  2. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I cant resist.

.65 cents a foot.

3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i can't resist either

NO GOMER it is

.65dollar per foot
    $.65 per foot
    65cents per foot
    65C per foot

".65 cents" Thats way too cheap but using one machine "Toro CCR Single Stage is the ONLY snoblower you should ever buy and will ever need" i understand

the point of the post was not to pick on snopower but to ask:
    DHAIGHT10 call the city offices and find out how much the bid went for and let us know
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Need something like this. Our town uses it.

side (Small).jpg
  5. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Brooms work good for large sidewalk jobs.

6. DHaight10

DHaight10 Junior Member

Awesome, that sure beats $20 / mile. I'll be debt free in the spring and I might as well start planning an extended holiday...

I'm actually waiting for the city to post the winning bid on their website...just wanted to get a feeling for what others might bid.
  7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

What did you bid?
  8. DHaight10

DHaight10 Junior Member

I didn't make it in time to for the initial bid...
  9. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

thats what we have too.
  10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Clearing 20-30 miles without a cab enclosure might be a little optimistic. I don't think an ATV will be heavy enough. You will most likely be doing well traveled packed in sidewalks. Our town uses John Deere tractors, I think they are 4310's. Do you not have to salt or sand/salt the walks as well?
  11. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

He's up north, shouldn't it be loonies per mile not cents per mile?????
  12. DHaight10

DHaight10 Junior Member

No worries, I'll be dressed appropriately... No salting or sanding is required. Just need a general idea of what's fair to charge. And yes the our 1 dollar coin is called a Loonie, and the 2 dollar coin is the "Toonie".
  13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

When they plow the sidewalks here there is grass on each side of the sidewalk. You have to go slow enough to make sure you are on the sidewalk. When you go off the walk you chew all the grass plus the plow is too high and off the sidewalk. I think you would be doing well to average 5 MPH. 30 miles would be approx. 6 hours. Here they also push the sidewalks during daylight hours only. I would think $50-60/hour might be in the ball park.
  14. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

The only thing you can do is wait until the bid is posted. If the posted amount is worth your time then ask him what he is willing to pay. He will probably keep some for himself.

I put together a bid down here that worked out to .007 cents per foot. I would have gotten $7,800 per push.

You can do 10 - 20 mph plowing with a quad, depending on conditions. Heck I even have one spot where I can do 30.

I would also recommend also getting a tractor with a blower for the deep snows. Or the best would be a Holder 2.42 with a plow and blower to do it all.

Does the City have a speed limit? Do they require you to only do it during the day? Do you have insurance or is he going to pay for it? Can you trust him to pay you after he is paid from the City?
  15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Apparently you've never used a broom before, the upkeep is expensive and is not practical for this situation.
  16. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I've never used them but seen plenty of towns that do use them. How much can a set of bristles cost. :) How long do they last? They look pretty damned indestructible.
  17. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

thats quite a distance to be on a atv in the snow....is only one pass wide enough for them
  18. xfire1wi

xfire1wi Junior Member

sidewalks are tricky to bid, do you have a place to put the snow? how much snow do you get yearly? do you have to remove the snow from the area or just plow? it is is going to have to be differnt prices for differnt amounts. Holder or trackless tractors work great for this a bit expense at first, but very versital
  19. DHaight10

DHaight10 Junior Member

Thanks for all the input!
    I'm waiting for the winning bid to be posted so I can accurately bid for my services.
  20. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i have a 72" pickup(broom with a bucket not a truck) broom and we just put all new sweepy things on it and it was about $1000 and the operator can make it last up too??.. i am guessing 300 hrs or as little as 30hrs i bought the broom second hand and give $1800 i think, so i realy can't answer the life of the broom Q' so my answer is just a guess