1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! Best Truck For A V-Plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by exmark1, Dec 6, 2005.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking at expanding and buying a truck to mount a V-Plow what would you guys recommend? I am looking at a 3/4 or 1 ton Diesel Pickups. What experiences are there with the Ford, Chevy & Dodge, what to look out for what works the best etc... All help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
  2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Ford has a nice tough front end. I'd go one ton without a second thought. Put a sander in the back for ballast and away you go.
  3. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

IMO. All the oppinions on here, are going to be mostly what people have, or are brand loyal to. Now, with having said that. Ive had 1/2ton dodges and fords, and the ford sucked, but the ford was old so im sure thats why. But I now have a 3/4ton chevy and love it.

But... I also belive that any truck you get that is a big 3, will suit you just fine and you will like it. They all do the same thing IMO, its just a difference in apperance, price, and little petty things that I could careless about (like if you can get seat warmers without buying the lariat or slt version). So, just buy any of the big 3 and you will be happy. People will say dodges have bad transmissions, and chevys have bad front ends, and fords have bad 6.0's. But most, if not all of these problems are worked out by now... Dodges have real sturdy trannys, chevy has a much better front end (doesnt sag as much anymore), and ford has attempted to fix their engines.

What ever you do, buy an american truck!
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Forget the diesel get a gasser to carry that heavy V plow.
    Diesel trucks already have the stiffest springs to carry that heavy motor, so there is not much room for the added weight of almost any plow except an LT.
    I know I'll get slammed by the diesel guys but what the hey!!!:waving:
  5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

The american truck is a given! I wouldn't be caught dead driving anything else! lol I currently own a Ford, Chevy, & Dodge truck all with plows granted two are older, however even from that I can't decide what to go with!

I am kind of stuck on the diesel because I do alot of interstate driving and would miss the milage aspect going to a gas V8 or V10 engine! Any other help would be appreciated! Thanks for the input so far it is helping me form an opinion.

6. arcticcat580

arcticcat580 Junior Member

Diesel is the only way to go! People put plows on just as many diesels as they do gas, and never seem to have any problems up front. My opinion is slighty biased and I would suggest an F-350 Super Duty PSD, 6L or 7.3. But if you do decide to go gas, then a 2500HD would be my next choice. Diesels may cost more to buy, maintain, fuel may be more, but they outlast gas motors, get better mileage, and have the power to move houses. Buy a diesel and you wont regret it!
  7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Guess that means I will go buy a toyota truck then. Since thats the only 100% american built truck.
  8. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

When I say american, I mean as when the profits come back to the US manufacturer, not overseas
  9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

at least for ford they dont. the plow prep package has the heaviest springs.
    i would buy any of the big 3, but 1 is not american anymore.
  10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

The best truck? A free one .