1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help...before the season starts

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by BUBBACHUKA, Oct 10, 2005.

1. BUBBACHUKA

BUBBACHUKA Junior Member

I have guaranteed that it will not snow in New England this year, because I have purchased my 1st plow (residential use) Homesteader (awesome deal - couldn't pass up). Worse I did the install myself (wasn't that bad) but the problem is the following:

I still have a lot of "slop" in the blade and I can only attribute it to air in the lines? how does one bleed the lines of air?

Thanks in advance
    the novice

2. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

if you look at the meyer site under suport there are the manuals in the manuals there is a good explanation of the bleeding process. this method should work for most plow's

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Or take it to a sevice center, that way they can check the rest of your install as well.

4. Plow Bill

Plow Bill Junior Member

Help

Just keep angling the plow and the slop will go away. The air will be blead off into the tank. Had this problem with my Homesteader and this solved it. Good luck!

5. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

If you did the install yourself, did you use sacrificial bolts in the mounting?? Not sure on the Homesteader brand, but I believe plows are supposed to be setup with breakaway bolts much like a shear pin on a snowblower auger. Some of the guy here know all about this subject.

The other poster was right--- if it's in your budget--get a pro to look at the mounting too---you don't want to be out there at 2 am at 10 below to find out that something loosened up or something. It's hard to think about 10 below right now but things break at thre worst times!

6. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

yeah eventually it should go away and if youre only using it for your own purposes then youre fine but if it doesnt clear up soon take it somewhere

7. BUBBACHUKA

BUBBACHUKA Junior Member

thanks, to all

I finally got the chance to work on it a little more and sure enought I just needed to cycle through it a few more times and the "slop" did go away. Thanks again to all that responded.

9. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

Sloppy Homie

I had the same problem. even after several uses, it was still not solid. The problem was air and the way the rams sit, the back ends are never higher than the fronts so they don't purge easily.

So, I drove down the road a bit and found a sloping area right off the shoulder. Put the plow over the edge and lowered it until it was way below the truck. Swung it back and forth a half dozen times and it's like a rock now.

10. BUBBACHUKA

BUBBACHUKA Junior Member

sorry......