1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP!!!!! Axle Seals

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by CSLC, Apr 24, 2015.

1. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

Ok, so I own a 2004 Ford F350 Super Duty SRW 4x4. I was due to replace ball joints. As a man that thinks he has the mechanical appitude to do this him self I attempted to save my self some money by not going to a shop for this task.

I was able to take everything apart fine, but now that it is time to put everything back together including new axle seals. I can not get the axles in correct. I thought I had the passenger side all set but when I went to put the snap ring on the bearing assemply it does not fit in the groove of the shaft, so there fore the axle is in to far. I really could use some help with pictures and or videos if anybody has them. Already spent more money on extra seals becasue I effed up the first one.

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

You are refering to the seals on the outer axle flange? They are installed with a special driver tool. OTC6695. How did you press in the ball joints? If you have the sea on all the way flush with flange, make where all rust is removed. Coat everything with neversieze and install axle. Make sure it goes all the way in. Put a new o ring on the bearing and neversieze it and install. Use New nuts on the studs. Make sure all the thrust washers are installed, I grease these.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Take a few pics.
    And do not anitseze anything.

4. Randall Ave

Always open to learn something. Why no antisieze?

5. dieselss

It will dry up, and "cake" and actually cause parts to lock up.
    I used to use it on caliper slides and pins for years. After a few trucks had pins seize up I stopped using it. Been using brake grease ever since and not a single issue

6. Randall Ave

Most manufacturers want you to usr caliper slide grease on their pins. When I do brakes on the style that IH, freightliner, or the Sterling's, all the same it seems , always use correct lube. But his parts is sealed and stationary. I've done probably 60 jobs like he's doing, never had a problem. I use a high heat antisieze that doesn't dry out. In thery anyway. Back to the Op, I don't think he has his axle seal on correctly. These things fall together.

7. dieselss

Just wait. I'll dry up and cause issues. And I'm betting it's not as sealed as you'd think

8. Randall Ave

Don't get your statement, I will bow out. You get the guy going.

9. dieselss

It'll dry up. Auto correct.

Until pictures, it's all guessing.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

To do it right you need a special seal driver tool to get the seals seated right. Doing it without the driver you're likely to end up with them installed wrong or just totally ruined.

11. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Sometimes you will need to tease the axle shaft back out just a hair in order to get the snap ring to seat. You should not have to move it so far as to disrupt the seal.