1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help--auto Electricain Needed

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kingriver, Jan 6, 2006.

1. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Cannot figure this out, I own a 1990 Chevy Silver ado 4x4--454 v-8--ext cab. Here's the problem. When I first start it up the amp guage in the dash cluster flucuates--not extremely, and the interior lights flicker alittle. After it has been running 20-30 seconds it stops. I have replaced alternator--didn't help, I have checked all grounds, I have disconnected rear light cluster--didn't help--It has duel batterys, one is new the other is several years old. Could a bad battery create this type situation ?? Could a guy remove (from fuse block) one fuse at a time to try and isolate the problem area ?? Any information on what might be causing this would be greatly appreciated.
  2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

get both batteries tested and go from there first. if one is bad i wil cause the light poblems. also make sure starter is working properly if it is sticking a little that would cuase it also
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You could have fusible link problems in the wiring of the "run" circuit.When it shuts down is the fuel pump still running and has pressure,still have wipers, heat blower(run circuit)? It could be a lot of things like a relay,ignition switch,fusible link,bad wire or a bad connection.
  4. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

Check your grounds, and ground straps.
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

yeah start with the batts- never mix batteries in dual setups they NEED to be even in capacity which is not only the size but the age. As batts age they sulfate reducing the internal capacity. a mismatched battery setup can fry the alt or voltage regulator which is in most PCM's these days.

GM's are known for fuseable link issues, could also be a broken wire. you say the first 20-30 seconds- sounds like when the engine is cold and running roughest to me.