1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help asap plow wont raise to attatch to truck

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by rizzohhh, Nov 22, 2008.

1. rizzohhh

rizzohhh Junior Member

I have a 9'2 v with smarthitch 2 i went to put it on the truck today and plugged in the conections then put it in float. went to raise the tower and when i press the toggle switch on the tower up I could hear the motor working but the tower wont go up. Does anyone know why. I am in need of an aswer ASAP they are calling for snow on Monday in my area.
  2. payton

payton Senior Member

check ur wiring.. if anything hit the switch and pick up on the tower it will raise up and attach..
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Check for magnetism with a screwdriver at the Smart Hitch coil/valve assembly while holding the SH switch up (pump running). The SH coil is the one with the black wire in the group facing the plow..

If it has magnetism, then the valve is stuck. Remove it from the manifold and free it up with a small screwdriver placed in the end of it.

If it doesn't have magnetism then either one of the terminals on the black wire between the SH switch and the SH coil is bad, the SH switch is bad, the ground wire on the coil is loose, or the coil itself is defective.

To check for switch or connection issues run a 12V jumper directly from the battery and place it on the SH coil terminal (with the black wire). If the plow will now connect when the SH switch is flipped, then it's likely the SH switch is bad. If it still wont connect then again either the coil is bad or the valve is stuck.

Note: If you remove the valve DO NOT over tighten it when you reinstall or replace it...or it still wont work and then you'll need a new valve. It takes very little torque to twist the valve bore out of shape...causing the spool to stick in the bore...and then you may be right back where you are now.