1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help ASAP Please

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by TurfSolutionsMN, Feb 1, 2009.

1. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I have a "92 Int. 4600LP with a 7.3 non turbo. I just had a dealer install a used Blizzard 8611 on it. I noticed every time I hit a plow button my gage would drop all the way to 10 but when I let go of it, it would go right back to where it always is. Could it be that the batteries are getting bad (they are 5 years old) or is the alternator going bad. Also I noticed this winter when I start it the gage would be all over the place for a minute or two, then go back to normal whats the deal? Also After I brought the plow home a few a days ago I ran it few seconds and now there is a relay or solenoid right behind the motor that keeps clicking on and off for a minute then it will shut off, everything on the truck works fine I dont think it effects anything. But around the time that happened I lost all functions to my plow. The motor still runs but does not pump any fluid, it seems like its just free spinning. The dealership just put a new motor in it, when I called them they said that the pump went out. Do you guys think all of this with my truck and plow could be related? Sorry its so long this is my first year in the plowing world.

2. the snowman

the snowman Junior Member

I had the same thing happen and the last time it was my alternater belt slipping. I would replace both batterys if they are 5 yrs. old also. Also ckeck for loose cables feeding your plow motor . If it still does it your motor is probably going bad.

3. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

Thanks for the reply!! The motor an the plow is brand new and I checked the motor and its getting enough power according to the dealer. The one thing that really worries me is that the previos owner of this plow fried all the wiring on the plow and truck truck, so the main cables are all new. Could the plow have some bad wiring in it some where that would cause any of this?

4. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Ground cable for the instrument gauges could be corroded causing low readings.

5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

You got a big plow. Its going to pull alot of amps. Droping to 10 volts is not normal, shouldnt go below 12 and then go right back to 15 volts. Are the plow cables ran to the primary battery posts? Sounds like the alternator is bad. I have had to replace my 7.3 alternator every 5 years.
    If the pump motor runs but no fluid is moving. Is the tank full? Possible the suction tube has fell off the pump.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  6. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

The plow cables are directly wired to the battery posts. But with dual batteries which one is the primary? Sorry for all the dumb questions!!

7. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

I believe he meant the top terminals on a dual terminal battery. The side terminals on a battery are not designed for heavy loads.

There is no primary battery in a dual battery system (both see the same usage provided the battery cables are good) unless you have an aftermarket battery isolator between the two.

8. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

In that case they are wired to the top posts. There isn't any isolator between the two.

9. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Need to upgrade your alternator. Something over 110 amps.