1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help, Anyone from Michigan?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ozman, Sep 4, 2001.

1. ozman

ozman Junior Member

I understand that when you charge by the push you charge every time you go back. same storm or not. So if Iam charging by the push example:

if Iam charging 800.00 per push 0-2" and another 2" falls should I charge an additional 800.00?

or is there another way to do it in Michigan that Property managers prefer? by the way these are apt. complex .

one more question is 45.00 hr an above avarge or below avarge or on the money to charge per hr,per truck

Thanks for any help

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Around here, $45 is average pay for a sub. We bid at $125/ truck hour for the v plow and back blade combo, a little less for a straight blade only.

I know of those who bid around $80 per truck for 7.5' straight blades, but they are on the low end.

I prefer seasonal contracts to cut down on my paperwork and billing time, so I can't say much about per push, on average in Michigan. I only know that the per push accounts I have get billed every push, no matter the timing of the trips. It is up to your discretion to push it before it builds up too much, that is just wise snowplowing, and nobody knows when the snow will quit.
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

When we bid per push we only submit one price and that is for 0-3". We will never push more than three inches on paper. If we infact get 5" before we show up(over night snow fall) we will bill for 2 plowings. If we plow 3" and another 2" fall we will bill for 2 plowings.
    Between 3-4" I may pro rate the second plowing.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

It depends alot where you are ozman. Along the lakeshore (Holland\Grand Haven area) $45 is about right. Move inland to Grand Rapids and Tom is right, $65 on the low end and up to $125\hour. Tom is right on with his pricing, we figure about $110\hour but average closer to $125 to $135.

To answer your first question, if it takes you just as long to plow the second 2 inches as the first 2, then you better charge the $800 unless you want to lose money. The only thing to that is maybe alittle break because you are already there and up and out of bed, etc.

Hope this helps
  5. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Member

the guys I used to work for paid subs $50 - $60 for trucks w/ blades. They were a little on the low side compared to the rest of the area ($55 - $65) but they dropped their blades earlier and the subs billed more hours than they did with the "salt happy" competition. How much you got depended on how productive you were.