1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help answer some questions about upgrading truck.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jerseydrew, Mar 5, 2010.

1. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

right now i have an 01 toyota tundr with the old snoway 18 inch plow. mostly used for my own house. i want something bigger/better and looking at definitely getting a crew cab. i do plan on offering services to residential customers in the 10/11 winter and need advice on what truck to get.

been looking at all the chevy models and am torn. do i need the 2500/3500 or can i get away with using a 1500. also if i get the HD how important is the factory "plow prep package"? and lastly since i use the truck for daily use which plow has the least obnoxious looking mount with the plow off? i am definitely going to get something used so what should i look for? any input would be appreciated.

TIA!

2. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

i would stick with the CHEVY/GMC classic body style 2500hd they hold a plow better than the new bodystyle... as far as the plow mount goes they are all pretty much equal in looks just the under carriage stays on the truck and some offer a brush guard that goes on in place of plow check out the boss plow discussion forum and there is a guy there selling the brush guards for a boss

3. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

by classic do you mean 2000-2006?

4. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

Western's ultramount plow system is really nice as you can take the brackets off in the summer. Kinda hard to know they are even there in the summer on my truck. My 05 has been a beast since day 1. Horrible on fuel though but I did not buy it for fuel mileage.

5. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

make sure you buy a GM. if you want a gasser HD, i would look for the NBS you can get that with a 373 rear end. after owning western plows for 20 years before i bought my first BOSS i would put a BOSS on it. jmo Ok guys now i gave you something to P&M about!

6. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

yes by classic i mean 2000 to 2006 and some 2007 bodystyle i would definitely go with this body trust me i have learned from my mistake by getting rid of my 2007 2500HD CCSB and buying the new body style 2500HD ECLB the new one does not hold my boss 8'2" v blade worth a sh_t.

7. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

i know you guys say not to get the newer truck but doubling as my daily driver and considering the price on HD trucks i cannot pass up on a newer one. i am going to see a 2009 2500 HD that gets an extra year of warranty being CPO for a REALLY good price. it can't be terrible.