1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help again

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pvtwaggs14, Jul 21, 2010.

1. pvtwaggs14

pvtwaggs14 Member
    from nw ohio

Ok here is the list of stores with sq feet how much im charging for plowing and what i figured for salt amout and for how much im going to charge let me know what you think

Attached Files:

2. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

What happens when you get (2) blizzards like Wash DC got last year? Are you set up for this? Is there additional charges for moving snow, equipment to pile snow and hauling snow away? Just a few other things to consider.

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

This guy has a good point!

4. pvtwaggs14

pvtwaggs14 Member
    from nw ohio

yeah I am looking into getting a dumptruck before winter, but i also have a 98 1ton dump that i can haul the tractor with... I can remove snow from the property and in my contracts it says that it can be done for additional charges. I mainly run 2 trucks looking at getting jobs so I can run 3 full time. If its like what DC got my GF dad has 3 plow trucks and another friend of mine also has 3. We all help each other out anyways so that would not change.

It is a very good point and I think my company is ready to handle this account. If I get it I wont be doing any of my sub work that I had been doing. I already have 2 other contracts lined up for this winter each one takes 1 hr to do. Take those and add the new stores and I will be busy for this winter maybe next year I can grow more.

Thanks for your input.

Wes

5. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I personally won't drive to a site for less the $75, so I think you low. And your salt prices are way low.

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Whats the "going too charge"? Is this charged for plowing and salting or just saltings? Are you salting immediately after you plow or are you coming back to salt them all? Have you taken into account your getting storing and loading the salt? If your using bulk I don't see a problem with your #'s as its alot easier to load... If your using bagged product your going to be spending ALOT of time fooling around with bags (100 + bags each time you need to salt) and at that point your prices are low

And as stated before get rid of that damn .50 round up or down

7. pvtwaggs14

pvtwaggs14 Member
    from nw ohio

The going to charge is how much I am going to bill them the salt price is how much the lbs X .35 is. I will not always use the lbs of salt that the sq footage is everystorm will be differnt some will use more some will use less. The salting is done after ice storms and as a Pretreatment before larger snowstorms 4" plus if it is over 8" then salt will be placed down 3 time pretreatment, middle storm and after final cleaning of lot. It will be bulk salt and the tractor is at my house where the salt will also be. Salt will be applyed at when done plowing lots. I do not have just a salting truck although I wish I did. I changed all the prices to get rid of the .50 or .75 thanks for the advise let me know what else you guys would change....

8. pvtwaggs14

pvtwaggs14 Member
    from nw ohio

sorry it did upload

Attached Files:

9. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

So is the "going to charge" charged everytime you go to a site (for plowing and saltings)? Will the company pay for 3 saltings during an event? None around my area will.... some will to pretreat but most want it at the end. Get rid of the .50's on the salt figures also....what will you be spreading the salt with? are you going to have multiple trucks with multiple sanders to salt immediately after plowing each site? if you don't, your opening yourself up to a slip and fall claim and it will ruin your season. Also how tight are these stores located to each other? also be careful what you share on this site.. there are alot of "lurkers" here and I'm sure they've taken note of your #'s. For those that will really help (and out of your service areas) you might want to pm in the future any specific details as you've posted above.

10. pvtwaggs14

pvtwaggs14 Member
    from nw ohio

Mick thanks for the info once again your help is grateful. The numbers that I put are close to mine they are not the exact figures but they are close, If someone low balls me they are hurting themselves because I am close to the bottom in pricing due to the fact I have a low overhead. The "Going to Charge" is only for salt application. One truck has a V box spreader the other I am going to be getting another spreader for it.7 of the stores are within about a 10 mile radius of my shop the other 4 are a good drive away but the bid is for all the stores. I've thought about subing them out and also putting together another truck just for the 4 farther ones and then it could also help out once its done out there. Thanks again for you help.

Wes

11. pvtwaggs14

pvtwaggs14 Member
    from nw ohio

I will get rid of the .50, .75 all off that stuff

12. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

your numbers arent bad for plowing, but after plowing all the salting numbers and shyt are way confusing. seems like you have a good idea what your doing. also i would throw another truck together like you were saying to do the far away ones because thats going to cost money to send a truck all the way out there and back. i would pick up a couple further driveways to do out by the other gas stations and build a truck and keep it busy out that way!