1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help again.... Motor issue!!!!!!1

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jsc824, Dec 21, 2010.

1. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

Attempted to flush the oil and change the filter on the pump. Took the motor off, but stupidly took the two bolts out of the top of the motor. When I pulled up, the motor housing came off. I have all the pieces, but cant seem to get the copper coil piece, (dont know the name) back into the housing all the way to bolt it back up. Is there a trick to this or do I have to buy a new motor?

Help is greatly appreciated

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

If we are talking about the winding (copper wire wrap around two pieces of magnets)??
    should slide down..

Was there screws holding it in on the side of the motor casing??

Or are we talking about the brushes that sit inside if the cap?

motor top brushes.jpg

motor winding bolt.jpg

motor top brushes.jpg

motor winding bolt.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  3. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

Yes thats tge piece. It wont go all tge way in. tgere are three screws on the sides. I took them out but no difference?

4. twinman326

Well, you have to line them back up.. There might be a "grove" inside the casing were the winding slides into..Make sure the screws holes match..

5. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

sorry replied from my phone. I was talking about the top piece.

Do I need to remove the larger side screws?>

There are 4 i think, copper sqaureish pieces stopping the copper spool from seating properly. If I reach in with my hand they will move out of the way. However I cant figure out how to get it seated properly. I guess these are the brushes?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  6. twinman326

Yes, they are call brushes.. If you could lower the top onto the armature, you have to make sure all the brushes are push back all the way and the shaft if going into the bushing straight.. I would just put a "dab" of grease on the top of the shaft and inside the bushing (sit inside the tip of the cap ). this will make the armature shaft slide easier

7. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

okay so I tried the lube, and no luck. How do I get the brushes to lock back. They seem to be spring loaded forward. Also I have the motor completely off the truck and not wired if that makes a difference.

8. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

use a rubber band 2 hold the brushes till you get them inside

9. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

got it, im a jackass. Didnt realize that very top plate comes off. I had enough messing around, bought a new motor and gave it hell on the old one and figured it out. Hopefully it will work and I can return the new motor.

Thanks for all the help and dealing with my idiocy.

10. twinman326

Don't worry...It is call trial and error.Been there and done it.

11. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

Thanks to all that helped. Im back up and running

12. twinman326

Glad to help....

Happy holidays, safe plowing