1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help/Advice needed regarding mid-weight

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cti531, Mar 11, 2010.

1. cti531

cti531 Member

I am brand new to the plowing business and recently purchased a 2009 Western mid-weight plow (the price was too good to pass up) and have a bit of a dilemma. I currently have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe and from what I have read this plow should be fine for this type of vehicle.

Next season however, I was hoping to buy an '03 - '05 Chevy 2500 but then thought it might be kind of a waste having this much truck for such a small plow. I will only be doing driveways and light commercial but would really like some opinions from some of the "pros" here.

If I go ahead and put the mid-weight plow on the 3/4 ton can I expect it to be a lot easier on the truck as compared to a mid-weight plow on a 1/2 ton or Tahoe? Or is the difference really a non-factor and both trucks experiance the same amount of wear and tear since it is only a mid-weight?

Would a 3/4 ton with a Pro plow take a lot more abuse than if it had a mid-weight? Or again would the difference be minor?

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appriciated!

2. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

I did something similar i have a midweight off my f150 and put it on my 05 f350 and have had no problems and just added the wings to it to get it past my wheels and everything is good, yes the lighter plow will be less stress on a bigger truck and the bigger truck can push more snow with less effort than a smaller one so I would put it on and once you wear that one out then step up to a bigger plow for the truck, good luck