1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help a newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by weasel11, Dec 4, 2008.

1. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

1st yr in snow removal. No snow in 7 yrs, but this yr looks different. I have plenty of trucks 1/2 ton to 1 ton. I need advice on the equip. My accts are 10 gas stations, 2 warehouse each w/ 2 loading docks and 2 islands, a few asphalt drives, a couple concrete and 1 gravel. How many trucks will I need to run? How long would it take to do these for you PROS so I can triple that time? Salt or not? Liquid? feel free to add anything I forgot about..Much thanks

2. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

How large are the warehouses and how far are your drive times between jobs.

3. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

If I was a gambling man...I'd bet on an 8th year with no snow. and that's what you're gambling...lots of expensive equipment for too little snow probability.

4. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

each is 20,000 sq ft and wide open other than 2 small islands.
    a radius of 45 miles

5. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

we've had 10 days so far 1-2 inches and our temps are 10 - 20 degrees lower than the past. I need to be prepared the contracts call for snow removal.

6. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Hmmm. Is anyone else thinking what Im thinking? Who's gonna say it...

7. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

It's a Q&A forum. Say it.

8. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Ok. First off there are too many variables that we do not know. I.E. What types of plows you are running, is salt in the contract or not, how large are the gas stations and are they 24/7? How do you sign contracts with all those accts. and not know what equipment you will utilize or even if or what you will be using for de-icing?

9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

This is like saying "I have plenty of lawn mowers...How long will it take me to mow x number of accounts.":dizzy: There IS no definitive answer.

10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I would say sub it out to someone that has the equipment. a little late in the game to figure out what you are doing:dizzy:. where are you located also?

11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

snow plowing or snow removal, you did not mention loaders to get the snow into the trucks.

12. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

20,000 sq ft lot with limited obstructions 30 minutes or less easy. Per lot.

Straight driveway say 2 minutes.

Gas station depends on how many idiots are in your way.

These can all be done with 3/4 to 1 ton trucks. Single axle making it easier.

Use V plows or plows with wings when possible to speed things up.

I sub out salting so I won't give my 2 cents on that.

13. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

My original post maybe was asking what equip. I need I.E plows, spreaders, ets. I have about 20 trucks and could set up a few or one that's the question
    Contacts read to have lots cleared of snow and entrances free from snow/ice.
    24/7 ...half are
    They were forfeited by a previous company and one of my companies does facility maintenance and I thought I would try to help out since there is NO ONE doing this here anymore. Like I said no snow in 7 yrs

If you can help w/ advice great ..if it's just negativity you have I can do without it

14. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

No one to sub out to. No snow in years everyone got out. These people approached my company to help. Typically we don't get bad weather til late Jan-March and if I knew what equp.was good or bad , user friendly , and could do these accts in a reasonable time, I can order the products tomorrow and get them installed. If you have advice on plows, spreaders, etc I'd like to hear it

15. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Put plows on 3 of the heavier 4x4 trucks with a salter on a 1 ton. Plan on starting comm when you hit yr trigger or at 2 am. The rest will come.

16. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

Thanks for the correction. It is snow plowing. No removal necessary.

17. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

Wow..thanks for the advice. This is what I was hoping to hear. So far you are the only one to give an PROFESSIONAL answer to my situation.
    So why single axles? I have both singles and duallies.
    what about those gas tank lids in the lot. Go over them or not?
    What about the forums talking about SnoDoggs and SnowSports what' s these plows
    Do I need those caution lights and can we travelthe same speed down the interstate with the plows up in transport position?

Thanks again

18. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

ask a more professional question and you'll get a more professional answer

lights depend on state..Where are you located?
    lids depend on the gas station and how they're set up
    there's sub-forums on this site for both manufacturers of plows
    not sure bout single but I think its because of the traction/manuverability

19. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I do what I can :)

I like the single axle cause it can fit into smaller places and you don't really need the capicity of a DRW to plow. DRW would be good for salter though if you have a dedicated salt truck. Also short wheel base truck help manuverability as you can imagine.

Never plowed a gas station so I don't know about the lids. I imagine you could catch on one pretty good and really ram your equipment hard on the raised ones so use caution.

Dont know about SnoDogg or Snow Sports.

Light requirement varies by state.

In most cases you can go just as fast with a plow on in transport as with one off. Some people have problems with overheating the truck with the plow blocking the grill.

Use ballast in the back of the truck to balance out the weight. I am running 750 lbs of sand and salt behind the rear axle. This helps with traction and stability when traveling at high speeds.

20. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

Point taken,but I thought the request was genuine.
    Tennessee.
    Yeah i looked at them and they all have positive things to say, but I was wondering if I could go w/these plows because they are not hydro and use down pressure to push snow.
    Stacking is not an issue because we have never got more snow than you northern guys.
    If I could install 3 SnowSports and 3 spreaders that would be very easy,but I don't know if it would be sufficient