1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help a newbie please! Boss pre-season maintenence questions

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bocefus78, Sep 14, 2006.

1. bocefus78

bocefus78 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Hi-New to the industry last year. I was wondering if there is any preseason maintenence I should be doing to my Boss 7'6" straight blade. It was bought new last year and not used very much (30 hrs. or so) How often does everyone replace hydro fluid? Anything else besides a simple check to make sure its operating as it should? I know it seems like stupid questions but Id rather find out those answers now than in the middle of pushing. Thanks for any help and tips! Chris
  2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Hi Chris. Welcome to the site. I would change the fluid before the season begins just as a precaution. It is cheap and easy to do, so it is well worth it. Other than that, make sure all the lights and hydraulics work as they should, check the pins, check all the bolts, and maybe add some touch up paint if you are worried about the appearance of the blade.:waving:
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you don't have the manual on your plow most manufactures have a down load-able copy on their web sites. Change the fluid,it gets a tiny bit of water in it every time you move the plow. The fluid may come out pint due to the water don't be alarmed too bad.
    Like he said above check all the bolts. This means try to tighten them. They will loosen with plow use so the more you use it the more times you check them. Check the truck side bolts on the under carriage they can become loose too. Put a few coats of wax on the working side of the plow,it helps to roll the snow and stop sticking.
    Maybe this year we can have some snow !
  4. bocefus78

bocefus78 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the help guys....when changing the fluid, does it need bled afterwards like a brake system? Sorry for the dumb questions.....

Thanks agian!
  5. MickiRig1

No just run the plow through it's functions. Then check the fluid level again.
  6. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

Heres Something I Do Every Year Also Is Add Some Die Electric Grease To All The Electrical Connections After I Make Sure They Are Clean. And Remember The Only Dumb Question Is The Question That Isnt Asked.
  7. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Just my 2 cents. i take mine to the dealer for service. i know what to look for and how to do it, but like knowing that a pro went over it. the cost is minimal and if you have a prolbem while working they always seem to get you in in a hurry. had a wire pull from the controller while plowing, called the dealer , they were closed, but it rang to his cell. he drove an hour from his plowing job to the shop and fixed it for free!! it would have only cost me about 30 bucks to fix, but getting it fixed that quick is worth every penny of the tune up.Just my 2 cents. never hurts to be in good with the plow shop payup
  8. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

servicing plows

I am in charge of 178 plows, and every year i change the pump fluid and then jack up the plow and take the lines off for the rams at the pump and push the plow back and forth to push out all the old fluid in the rams.
    Get a lot of junk out of the rams.
  9. MickiRig1

If you have not done it yet, check all your fluids on the truck, including the axle pumpkins. Check the engine serpentine belt / belts, battery, cables, make sure all connections are good, clean and use dielectric grease on them. Roll under the truck with a creeper and make sure nothings broken or leaking. Just give the whole truck a once over. Better to do it while it's warm and dry then when it's cold and wet.