1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help a new guy out?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by DSkovera, Jun 22, 2014.

1. DSkovera

DSkovera Junior Member

Hey I just joined this forum today. I'm a younger guy that just got a degree in Horticulture Landscaping, and living in WI i realize i cant landscape year round. I want to start out small this winter and do snow blowing for residential driveways and eventually work my way up to getting a plow and doing commercial lots. But the main question is what do i charge? Do i charge by the hour or the inch?
    Any help and feed back would be highly appreciated!
    Thanks guys

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I would try and hook up with someone to see if you like it.Doesn't it get 100 below zero in GB during the winter? You might not like it.

3. DSkovera

DSkovera Junior Member

It does get a little chilly here but it doesn't bother me, us cheese heads have ice running through out veins. I have been doing snow blowing for family and friends the past few years but i never made money off of them. I always did it as a nice gesture. But now I'm looking to step up to the next level

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well what you could do is send out a letter to other companies and offer that service to them

5. DSkovera

DSkovera Junior Member

I plan to reach out to local business and see what they charge. I thought this site was a good place to start with and get opinions from professionals in the business

6. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I would set a price based up to a certain amount of inches. Figure out your expenses like gas and salt if you use it, then figure out how much you want to make for profit. If you did your friends and families then you have a idea how long it might take you and the fuel used.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Try and get in with a company. Starting pit from scratch and first time doing it is ruff

8. DSkovera

DSkovera Junior Member

If i get in with a company what can i expect for pay?

9. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Price depends so much on location, I get 45$ for a in town two car driveway and side walks. Salt is more- $15 at a time.
    I plow them - with a snow blower - the stuff the city leaves will make trouble for you if you just have a blower.
    I charge by the inch in 3 inch increments. 1-3 3-6 6-9
    Don't give it away - it hurts us all in the long run. :)

10. DSkovera

DSkovera Junior Member

I had the same numbers in mind when coming to salting and for clearing driveways in town.
    Thanks for your post!!