1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help A New Guy Out.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Ngom12, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Ngom12

Ngom12 Junior Member

After Plowing for a company the last seven years, I've decided this will be my last year and I am going into business for myslef next year. i have a year to plan and i want to do it right, so I need some advice and figured this would be the right place to start. These are my major questions and i'd appreciate it if someone could answer them for me:

1) I want to be a close to legal as possible. Minus the obvious stuff (plow, truck, spreader) what does it cost to go into business: Insurance, LLC/Inc, registering, ect.?

2) I currently have a 06 ram 1500 (no plow) its beffed up, i already leveled the front end and put heavy duty struts in the front. I want to try to go into commercial plowing as quick as possible. Will this tear my 1/2 ton truck up as bad as i think it will?

3) Who do i see to go after these commecial accounts? Do i try and find the managment company/team?

4) This will not be my full time job so im not looking to make a living off it, but how do you go about figuring a price for lots/driveways? i dont want to lowball, yet i dont want to put a plow on my truck and not be able to pay for it. (luckily i have a few neighbors that love me and could charge pretty much anything to plow their drive)

5) Any other advice people could offer would be great. Thanks!
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

# 1, 2, 3, 4 - There are a thousand threads on all of these topics. Kick back, relax and use the search function. You will find answers to all of these questions.

#5 - Keep plowing for the other guy.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  3. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

#5 ... as above ... Keep plowing for the other guy and don't cop an attitude. Leave on good terms. You may need to go back.

I got laid off in 2007. My ex employer is now a very good account for me.