1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help a friend?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by kolkie05, Aug 5, 2009.

1. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

I have a friend of mine who wants us to plow his condo building parking lot. It's not a very big lot maybe 100 x 100 with about 500sqft of walks. They also want salt thrown in the parking lot. As you are aware everyone seems to be under bidding just to get a job these days. They said someone came in and gave them a seasonal rate of $1800 which seems low to me.

Drive time is about a half hour for me, figure about 30 min for the lot and sidewalks, and about 2-4 50# bags of salt.

I guess another unit owner wants to take this guy unless I can come in less. Is it worth doing the favor for $1700 or should I just say forget it?

Thanks guys.
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I do a lot that is that size about I charge 1200 a month for plow and salt all inclusive with a 5 month contract so that comes out to 6K for the season. The lot is not straight plow but it is a small condo assoiciation and there are always cars all over the place. 1800 for everything is not worth it.Forget it, unless it is 1800 per month.
  3. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

That seems too cheap, I agree with Burkart
  4. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

Ok so I just spoke with my friend it appears they only want the lot plowed and salted no walks. And they confirmed that the bid was $1800 for the season.
  5. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

I know im not in Chicago but, $1800 for the season is not rite friend or not. I can make that on 4 of the private's i do in a season. And i do 39 of them. ranging in price from $25 to $180 per push. If he is a friend do yourself a favor and keep him a friend. Don't think I just do private's. I also have 5 small commercial that i sub to a friend. Salt and Plow. The largest being 180 X 70. That pays $1320 a month for the contract season. Of course the others pay less.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009