1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help a clueless person; you'll feel good doing it.

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Old Fred, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Old Fred

Old Fred Junior Member
    from NY

Hello, I have a 1978 Jeep cj-7 with a Meyer plow I have used on our driveway for two seasons. Recently in getting ready for winter the blade will hardly raise and the left-right control is weak also. I am guessing it needs new fluid as it had a slow leak. My question is this... there is no obvious place to fill it (to me who knows nothing about plows). What further information is needed to be of help? I throw myself at your mercy if this is in fact the dumbest question ever. Thanks.

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

What kind of pump is on it? Is it an electric one out in front or on the fender well or is it belt driven.

3. Old Fred

Old Fred Junior Member
    from NY

here are some pics if it helps.

small1.JPG

small2.JPG

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That is old. Maybe just feed it some hay and the problem will pass!

5. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

i had one of those many years back rotten and gone. its that white cap on the front of the plow controls in your cab

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think this is it.

meyerpump.jpg

meyerpump.jpg

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That only works on basher

8. festerw

festerw Senior Member

LOL Grandview....

Fill plug is the round cap on the top towards the front. Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears to be a Monarch unit.

9. Old Fred

Old Fred Junior Member
    from NY

I prefer "gently used" as opposed to "old" to describe the Jeep/Plow. Very, very, very used. Is Monarch the manufacturer of the pump? If so, the only indication on the cylinder is a plate that says "Prestolite". Does filling at the cap require anything special? Having removed it once, it appeared to require some sort of fitting similar to a grease gun, as the opening was quite small. Is this possible? Sorry again if this sounds rediculous, im pretty unfamiliar with plow/hydraulics in general. Thanks all.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  10. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

that looks like it would be enjoyable to blow a line. get covered in hydrolic fluid

11. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Monarch is the manufacturer (If I am correct), Prestolite is the manufacturer of the electric motor.

Here is the troubleshooting guide if it is in fact a Monarch
    http://www.bucherhydraulics.com/bausteine.net/file/showfile.aspx?downdaid=9364&sp=E&domid=1017&fd=3

12. Old Fred

Old Fred Junior Member
    from NY

That looks like it, thank you so much Festerw. I really appreciate your help on this. With any luck i'll make it through another winter with the old jeep.