1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help-91 f150

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowhawk, Nov 9, 2004.

1. snowhawk

snowhawk Junior Member
    from mn

Ok, i'm a rookie.
    I have about a dozen driveways-small, used to do it with a snowblower-want to use my truck with a plow maybe. everyone i talk to tells me something different.

97 f150, at, 4x4, reg cab, 8ft box, 6000gv, 3200 front, 3200 rear,

ford says i shouldnt even think of doing it-its not meant for that. others say with a light plow, others say i'm just too light. while others say-put a some timbrens on and it will handle a 700 pound plow.

any suggestions?

thanks to all who have a say
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

You will be fine with Blizzard 7'6"LT plow. ( 550lbs. )I do not say that easily as I'm a Chevy man, but i will guarantee your satisfaction, within reason.
  3. snowhawk

snowhawk Junior Member
    from mn

thanks Bolts
    how about timbrens? do i really need to put them on? bigger alt? tranny cooler?

thanks again
  4. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Hawk: Hi & welcome to Plowsite.

Read this thread here:

I know it's about a 97 Dodge 1500, but the whole idea is that it's more about putting a plow on a 1/2 ton pickup than specifically a Dodge. Pay special attention to Mick's post at the end of the thread, that pretty much says it all about using a 1/2 ton as a plow truck.

Also, read around, you'll see lots of other writings on this subject if you look for them and you'll find out enough to make a good decision. As far as the timbrens go, talk to Big Nate when you see him online here, he sells timbrens and can tell you if your particular truck needs them or not.
  5. snowhawk

snowhawk Junior Member
    from mn

thanks for the above answer, more food for thought

there is a 83 f 250 with a 8 western w/back drag-should i look into that?
    what are your thoughts on jeep cherokees with plows?
  6. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Do not put a 700 lb. plow on a 1/2 ton. It is too heavy and there are legal issues in regard to an accident.
    I am not a big fan of timbrens. I know I'm going to hear it bad after saying this but here goes. If the plow width and weight are properly matched to the size of the truck you should not need suspension help other than cranking up the torsion bars 5 turns. In some cases you will and recommend new heavier springs. As far as the alternator if you have a good battery your stock alt. will do for your type of plowing. Up grade to 130 amp. when you can. Trans. cooler is recommended.

OK let er rip.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2004