1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! '90 Dodge-Floor Pan Rot

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Erlee, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Erlee

Erlee Junior Member

Our Dodge developed a real case of rot in the floor pan. Enough that if I don't do something about it soon, It'll look like we're driving the Flintstone's special mobile on the way to a job!

Is there anyone out there that has experienced the same problem? What's the remedy? Shape my own diamond plate piece or is there a prefab replacement readily available for weld-up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

Go to JC Whitney, they sell pre molded panels that either rivit or weld in, depending on your preference. I have to say, they are really nice! My buddy has a 78 Dodge that was already a Fred Flinstone mobile, he laid a bead of caulk down, and rivited them in. They are REALLY SOLID! They only cost like 40 bucks for a pair. Definitely go for it!

3. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

There are several places that carry those pre-made floor pans. JC Whitney, Raybucks, Tabco, just to name a few.

Word of advice...the main cause of floorpan rust in the 72-93 pickups...is usually one of the following:

Windshield seal leaks (new windshield seal is available for around $60 or so in reproduction form, or ALOT MORE from the dealer)

Rust above the windshield area (between the top of the windshield seal and the bottom of the rain gutter)

Rust in the cowl area (not too common, unless the truck sits under a tree most of the time)

vent window seal (on door) leaks

The usual cause is the windshield gasket/seal... :)

E-mail me at 440trk@excite.com if I can be of any further assistance.

4. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Erlee.......We have been in the same spot, the cheap way out is to go buy some sheet metal ( hvac type thickness ) from the hardware place and cut it / bang on it / mold it / and then caulk it down real good. It works just fine,,,,,otherwise you can invest in replacement floor pans.

5. Erlee

Erlee Junior Member

Thank you all for the advice on how to handle this problem and sources for replacement parts.

I checked with JC Whitney and thay don't carry the floor pans for the Dodge trucks, (Chevy GMC trucks and Ford, Pontiac & VW cars only.

I will try to find & contact Raybucks & Tabco as 440trk suggested. BTW, there is no apparent rust above the windshield area, nor, in the cowl area. Possible that either the windshield seal or vent window developed a leak; will investigate further.

I don't mind putting a few extra labor hours into the job to make the finished product OEM. Then again, I do mind paying the bodyshop $1.2K-1.4K to do a job where materials are only about 15% of the price tag.

Yes, it's an older model but... while the truck is strictly a "work truck", I want it looking sharp when it gets to a client's job site. In my opinion, the equipment & its condition that is used in providing the services to a client sends out just as much of a message as the end results. Although service is tops, maintaining a professional appearance is a critical part of marketing my business.

Thanks again for all your help.

6. phoenix827

phoenix827 Member

You said it's a '90? Check RCC Thats what the whole site is for, is the older Dodge trucks. I KNOW there are a few links for body parts on there, but off the top of my head the only place I can think of is Mill supply. With you Being on LI you should be all set. Evildriver on RCC is out on the island with you and if he dosn't know about it, it's not on the island! lol

7. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

HMMMM He said he got them from JC Whitney. Oh well, try these guys, definitely get their catalog, they have tons of body panels, patch panels, and replacement parts-for a decent price, too! http://www.auto-body-part.com/floor_pan.htm looks like you can get the whole floor for about 60 bucks!

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Junior Member

Went thru the same problem with our 85.
    Called everywhere including Mills Supply and Dodge Dealer.
    The only reproduction part out there is for 2WD.
    You have to do a lot of cutting and bending to get it to work with the 4X4.
    They recommended just using sheet metal.

Also, once you develop a little rust hole in the floor pan, the padding under the rubber mat or carpet gets and stays wet. Therefore, increases the rapid spread of rust.

MATT