1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! 9'-6" Western V

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by CENLO, Feb 16, 2008.

1. CENLO

CENLO Member

I have a 9'-6" Western V (4 years old). Has been working fine.........just drove to my camp and it won't scoop. It will go up and down but the wings won't move....any ideas? Of course it's Sat at 7:00pm with a storm coming Sun! I can hear the pump squeal when I try to scoop.

Thanks in advance, Don

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

scream

check your oil !

3. NootDogg

NootDogg Senior Member
    from WI

You have screens in the pump itself that are probably clogged. You need to take them out and blow them out and put them back in. You will probably have to do it two or three times.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Only when the scoop button is pressed?

What if you operate the wings separately what exactly does each wing do?

5. CENLO

CENLO Member

Wings do not move at all.....

6. CENLO

CENLO Member

How do I go about doing this? Is there only one pump on the unit?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

For it to lose all wing functions but still raise and lower, the most likely cause is a faulty controller..

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

2nd B&B on that if it is going up and down, the screen is probley not the cause as the oil has to get to the pump to go up and down too.

9. CENLO

CENLO Member

But I can here the solenoid....and the motor

10. CENLO

CENLO Member

Could it be something that froze, it seemed tp happen after I drove 60 mph for an hour?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The pump running doesn't mean a thing as far as the controller being bad. The controller has to send out at least two signals to move anything on the plow.. and as many as 4 (scoop for example takes 4 separate control signals). You can run the pump but not be opening any valves/coils which will give you zero movement or loss of specific functions, like wing functions for example.

12. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I had a similar problem with a fisher straight (which has western parts on it). It would go down and up but not angle. I could hear the motor go on as well, but nothing would happen. So I pulled off the coils and then took out the cartridges and in one of the little holes on the side of the cartridge there was a metal shaving in there. I pulled out the metal shaving and herd the cartridge click. I re-installed everything and it all worked perfectly. Just a thought, hope it helps.

Collin

13. CENLO

CENLO Member

Are the valves and coils the same thing....do I have to completely rip apart the pump to access them?

thanks again for all the info

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not likely the same problem on a V.

These V's have 6 valves and coil assemblies in them, in two separate manifolds to control the functions. The valves are identified as S1 thru S6. You said it will raise and lower fine. For it to do that the S1 S2 and S3 valve have to be working. To operate the wings, they also use the S1 thru S3 valves in addition to the other 3 valves. For it to only clog or restrict the S4, 5 and 6 valve but leave the S1,2 and 3 operating fine is highly unlikely.

Don, what position is the right wing in now?

I'd bet it's in the fully retracted position correct? If so, that's because the pump uses none of the valves to retract the right wing. Simply running the pump, retracts the right wing.

The only other possibility to these symptom's is the small power wire (red wire) is broken between the primary and secondary manifold that the S4 thru S6 valves/coils are in. Never seen it happen though...but the controllers die quite often.

15. CENLO

CENLO Member

The right wing is fully retracted....the unit is in the vee position. Could it be a controller fuse?

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure, it could be one of the internal fuses inside the controller. They use two internal fuses. You can pull the controller apart and check the fuses on the circuit board for continuity with a DVOM tester.

17. CENLO

CENLO Member

I just dropped my plow off in a heated area.....I took apart the controller and ........naturally the fuses are the size of an ant! Do they just pull out.....and would anyone but Western sell a fuse like that?

18. CENLO

CENLO Member

Just came from the heated garage and the plow is working fine! Any ideas on what would have froze? Could the oil have moisture in it?

Thanks, Don

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Water will freeze even if it's in hydraulic fluid..for it to only affect the wings it would have to have froze only in the secondary manifold...rather odd but anything's possible.

Electrical problem is still a possibility as well...

20. michdeere

michdeere Member

I'd still lean towards an electrical issue. You had the controller apart... Possibly a loose wire or bad connection. Not exactly unheard of with the western handheld controllers. I'm thinking the heated garage issues is just a coincidence.