1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help 8' or 10' snow pusher box

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by cricket, Nov 29, 2008.

1. cricket

cricket Junior Member

I have condo complex 60 driveways 4 streets and club house to plow.I'm using right know two trucks and I have cat 262c with out snow pusher box. what you guys think what is better to get 8' or 10' box. does 8' is going to be small or 10' to big
    thanks

2. getoffroad

getoffroad Junior Member
    from Mass

go in the middle and get a 9

3. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

use a blade or a box that you can back drag with if your doin the drives with the ss but other than that an 8 foot should be fine

4. cricket

cricket Junior Member

thank you guys

5. JoeBradley10

JoeBradley10 Junior Member

Consider a Light Material Bucket

Cricket - I bought an 9' Protec snowpusher for my Bobcat 250S. I didn't work well for me at all. I sold it and bought a 96" light material bucket from Bobcat and it works great.

There were a few reasons the pusher didn't work for me:
    1) I need to be able to go around corners - I could go straight just fine but as soon as I tried to turn I would loose traction if I was pushing a decent amount of snow. This may have been because I was running normal skid steer tires and not snows. I think the bucket works better because it takes the friction away from the snow you're pushing and the pavement.

2) I need to pile the snow - The pusher doesn't pile the snow very well but the bucket can stack it 10' high. My 250 hasn't had a problem lifting a full bucket of wet snow.

3) I need to scrape down to the pavement. My parking lot has usually been driven over by the time I get to plowing it and the pusher would just ride on top of the packed snow. The bucker scrapes it clean. The disadvantage is that the bucket will catch edges and lips while the pusher's rubber blade absorbs those things much better. Although I've heard of some people mounting a plastic or rubber scraping blade on their bucket to help with this problem.

If you don't have to turn or stack snow and have good snow tires, a pusher might work for you. I've found the bucket pushes almost as much snow and is more versatile. I can also use it in the summer for mulch and other light materials.

I hope this helps.

Joe

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  6. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

I also do a fair amount of condo drives, So I bought a 8 ft pusher this year and after using it for two storms, I am ready to sell it. With the rubber edge ,it just does not clean as good as I would like, I am going to look at a plow with wings. Also , Snow Wolf has a plow that has a box attachment with it so you can plow or push, it is pretty slick.

7. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

i have a 10' for sale 2500 if your interested it's brand new used once last year

8. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

sorry i didn't read well nough into your post, my box is for a back hoe/loader not ss. disregard

9. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

I will sell mine for 1800.00 comes with a pullback.

10. cricket

cricket Junior Member

thank you guys for infos.
    I got pro-tech 8' with pullback kit.I'm not 100% happy with box but does the job. I have 30h on the rubber and have to adjust 1/4 " higher than shoes so cleans better.