1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! 8 foot fisher on a F150!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rclay11541, Nov 30, 2004.

1. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

Ok first here is the situation:

I got an 86 F150 with a conventional fisher setup. The plow is 8 foot and the max your supposed to use is a 7.5.

I do have heavy duty springs all the way around but my concern is bending the frame.

Does the 6inches make that big of a differance?

Also Im not using the two push rails only the two push plates and obviously the push beam. Is there anything i can make to act like the push rails? Id order them from fisher but ALOT of people i know who have ordered stuff from fisher haven't gotten thier parts and in some cases its been three months.

Do i need the push rails?

HELP!

Thanks guys

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Ya better order the push rails or get ready to repair things.

3. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

bolts have you had any expirance with this? Has anyone tried plowing without the push rails?

The pust rails are the small pipes that go behind the push plates to the middle of the trucks frameb

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

With a Fisher Plow? A lot of difference. It is made heavy and stronger than a 7.5 footer (the 8ft is a HD and the 7.5 is a RD plow) and it has a bigger stronger A frame too and that A frame sticks plow out further from truck too making it seem heavier yet. That is a load for that F150! I have one of these on a 1 ton and it can be a load.

5. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i don't know about the fisher push part but the only concern you will have with a larger plow is how well the truck still drives and handles. Especially the brakes. I would say with a good brake system an f150- 96 and older that isn't used real hard hould have any more accelerated where than just using a 7.5

6. Bolts Indus.

I am aware of what push rails are. Let me put it this way. If the vehicle calls for it then I recommend them. Engineers have decided from vehicle to vehicle what vehicle needs them. I will not contradict them, but the newer fords take a Blizzard 810 and do not have push rails. Decide for yourself. :)

7. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

i called fisher today they wouldn't say much but they did say the 8 foot is approx 90lbs heavier.
    I appretiate the advice, i really do, i just want to make sure you guys have a crystal clear picture of what im dealing with here because for me scraping the mold board i have and finding a 7.5 fisher is a BIG deal. Kinda poor not much grass to cut latley.

Thanks

8. Tarkus

But a lot of that weight is the plow itself and its pivot piont on A frame is about 6 inches further from truck too so it feels a lot heavier than a extra 90 lbs! The same basic frame is used for 8ft through 9 foot plow and Vee plow (with a few modification) and that is why it is so long compared to the 7.5 foot model. Some may disagree with me but you have a very bad mismatch there of plow type and size to truck type.

9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

My plow weighs more then a Fisher 8' and its on a 2000 F-150, no problems, i can't speak for the 80's models, i don't know. Fisher in their application guide will allow up to an 8'6" HD plow on it.

10. Tarkus

I would not be so sure as I think you will find yours is closer coupled than the Fisher making it feel a bit lighter.

11. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

tarkus what are you talking about when you say pivot point?

12. Bolts Indus.

If it was my personal plow I would go for it but would put the frame rails on. As a dealer I cannot recommend to my customers to do that. :rolleyes:

13. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I would recommend the push rails. How about fabbing some up yourself, or finding a welding shop to build some. Could be quicker and less $ then buying from the dealer.

I saw an older model F-150 the other day with a plow. The front end couldn't have been 3 inches off the ground with the plow raised. Looked like rear end was ready to come off the ground. I think his only ballast was a little snow blower. :confused:

Just thought I would share,
    Mark K

14. Tarkus

The steering knuckle pivot points or "ball joints" as some call them. The center bushing in the TTB is stronger too (more resistant to wear) in the D50 vs a D44 too.

15. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

?????????????????
    when did we start mounting the stearing knuckle out by the plow?

Please explain

16. Tarkus

Where to you think the weight of the plow is transfered to the ground when transporting? The longer the "lever" (A frame) on the plow and the more weight on that "lever" the harder it pushes down on that front axle. Basic physics.

17. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

8 footer

go for it you'll have no problem and it will plow better
    when you turn you wont be packing it down with rear tires