1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help!! 2007 ford tranny question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by CGLC, Nov 13, 2009.

1. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

I just bought a 2007 f-250 5.4l v8 4x4 xl truck. When I test drove the truck; the shifting seemed very smooth. After about a week; and most of the time right when you start the truck up, I seem to notice a very hard jolt when I shift it into reverse. It almost seems like a strong push in the transmission. I am new to fords and don’t know if this is common or should I worry? ohh yeah the truck has 68,980 miles.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Dose the speedo work before you get up to 35? If not there is a sensor in the rear axle and that was bad on my truck and it would shift real hard and speedo would not work until 35. It is a cheap part and an easy fix. I hope this helps. Steve

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Check the u joints on the drive shaft, when they become worn they can make a hard clunk feeling.

4. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

Thanks spedo works and the u joints look tight, the "push" or "slamming" literally comes from the tranny right under my seat. It doesn't do ot every time. You can even hear the breaks make a noise stopping the truck from moving a little backword if your foot is not pushed hard on the pedal.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My 08 does the same thing. Give it a second to idle down.

6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, seems to be normal, I've experienced the same thing. Gotta anticipate it to avoid barking the tires :laughing:

The torqueshifts are a lot less forgiving than the old 4r100's, slide 'em into reverse, and they're in reverse NOW. Unlike the 4r100's where you could hit reverse as you were coming into the pile and it'd be engaged by the time you were sliding back off the pile... Also gotta make sure the wheels aren't spinning and the truck is stopped before putting it into reverse or she'll grind.