1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help 2000 Chevy 2500 4x4 Ext. cab 6.5 box LT needs new plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mark71, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Mark71

Mark71 Junior Member

So it has front 4410lb gawr, rear 6000lb gawr total 8600 gvwr. It weighs 6025lbs full gas tank on the scales. Modifications has been front gussets installed, added a second battery with upgrading the cables, Changed the gk torsion bars to gl torsion bars, added green keys, cognito uca, blistern 5100 shocks up front, and added some timberns. My thinking behind all this was so i could add a boss 8.2 vxt plow thinking that by adding ballast that would offset the weight off of my front axles. I also new knew that the dealer would not install the plow because my truck does not have a 4500lb front axle rating. But i didn't know that this would also void my warranty of the new plow that i was going to have it shipped to me from a out of state dealer. Also the dealer said that if i did have a problem it and offer to pay for the repairs that they wouldn't touch the plow while it was install on the truck because of liability issues.
    My thought was truck 6025lbs + plow 900lbs + ballast 800= 7725lbs while still be under my 8600lbs and be legal if i got into a accident. So am i really stuck with only having a 7.5 ft plow with my 3/4 ton truck if i want to stay legal ? Or is the dealer wrong in saying that i cant offset the weight back off the front axles and stay under the 8600lbs to stay legal ?

2. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

I was looking on the plow selector for snowdogg. And it's telling me you can put a 7.5 v plow or a big EX 8 footer or smaller if wanted.

Are you stuck on a v plow?

3. Mark71

Mark71 Junior Member

I was thinking a v plow to help with the 2 - 3ft berms that our city plow leaves us at the edge of the driveways and drifts that we deal with here in WI. Mostly do driveways first year with a plow and plan on plowing with the storms.

4. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

We had an 8ft western pro plus on our 00 2500 extra cab 6'6" bed 4x4 and it was all stock no suspension moss. 750 lbs ballast and it plowed great. No issues at all

5. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

That same plow set up is now on my 01 2500 Hd extra cab 6'6" bed and I plan on running close to 950lbs ballast due to this truck being the 8.1 v8 with the Allison trans. Need a little more ballast to offset the engine/ trans combo

6. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

On my 98 gmc ext cab short bed with the 6.5 I had a 8 ft fisher. This plow was no allowed by the fisher standards but I had the plow and the dealer only did wiring and push plates. I also put timbrens on the front end. The plow worked great I used to throw some cinder blocks and snow blowers in the back. The plow was heavy for the front end and I would not go heavier and you can expect to do the front end on that truck every 2 or 3 years but for me it was worth it because a 7.5 is way to small for that truck. Also are you sure on the front gawr? I thought thoses trucks were 4250 lbs.

7. Mark71

Mark71 Junior Member

Yep it is 4410. Its a crazy model and was sold as a 2500hd with heavy suspension add to it. But the dealers have no clue on what this upgrade was. So does anybody know if as long as I don't go over my 8600lbs would I still be legal or not ?

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

What is your front axle weight now with the truck full of fuel and a driver

9. Mark71

Mark71 Junior Member

I found a certified scale to used. I place half the truck on one scale as even as possible. I stood in front of the truck came up with a weight of 3700lbs for front axle and 2460lbs drive axle. Gross weight 6160lbs So boss 8.2 with mount 900lbs that's 4600lbs on the front axle. So could i offset the extra 190lbs that I am over with ballast in the rear off the truck ?

10. Mark71

Mark71 Junior Member

Here is a pic of the truck....

truck.jpg

11. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Throw a Western Wide out on that rig and be done with it! Thumbs Up