1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP 1988 Chevy S10

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Rcgm, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Ok here it is my dad has a 1988 chevrolet s10 v6 2.8 I believe.He needed a tune up so he had a friend of my moms work on it he put a dist cap rotor plugs and wires.Now they truck runs horrible it bucks and pops back fires.So what do you think timing is off or he mixed a spark plug wire?Does anyone have the firing order with a diagram?

Thanks
    RCGM
    Brad

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sound's like he got the firing order out of whack. Here's the firing order diagram so you can check it for yourself.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

the firing order should also be stamped conveniently on the top of the intake manifold or somewhere around there. it sounds to me like the wires are mixed up or not connected all the way, it probably should be timed anyway.

4. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

are you sure the engine is an 88? Reason I ask is If I remember correctly, It was 86 that Chevy made 2 2.8 motors. ONLY way to tell the difference was the location of the number one cylinder. On the later model engine, number one was on the passenger side!
    Check your firing order, and trace the wires.Probably got one messed up.

5. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Yes it is a 88 and we got her all fixed.I told dad never again I love you but if you do something stupid like this again let a kid work on your truck I will smack you:D

He had wires 1 off on every plug he broke 2 vacuum lines as well.

But it is all fixed now after I talked a friend into taking his saturday night to go fix it.Cost me a case of beer and a pizza.

Thanks again BB for posting the wiring order and thanks to everyone else as well.

RCGM
    Brad

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad to hear you got it all fixed up.