1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help - 12 pin failure - need advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jason Pallas, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

Prepping the plows for winter and realized that a couple of the male ends on the 12 pin electrical hookup for a Western Unimount plow had broken off (corrosion - not enough dilectic grease). I defintely need a new male end - Problem is that for that male side, the cheapest I can find it is $82!!!!! This is a ridiculous price for what it is.
    My question is : I've thought about re-doing the 12 pin connection using (2) 6 pin trailer light harnesses or (3) 4 trailer light harnesses. It's about $70 cheaper and the gauge of the connectors and wires seems to be about the same. Has anyone had a similar experience? Are there any reasons you can think of why this wouldn't work? Input and advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with two 6-pin trailer plugs and get a third set to use as caps for the truck ends when they're not hooked up. Reverse the plug halves ont he truck so you can't hook the plow up wrong and you'll be fine. Nice thing is that once you make the conversion it's cheap and easy to keep a spare plug on hand so if you lose a connection during a storm you can hook up a new one with waterproof crimp fitttings and be back on the road in minutes. Or Sno-Ways used two proprietary 6 pin plugs which were not even available without buying the whole harness. I converted that to a single 6 pin trailer plug for a few dollars. I will not be bent over and raped just because some manufacturer thinks they have the market cornered.

3. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

thanks for the laugh Alan , your last few comments got me chuckling. did you get to use the mighty "S" for salting the other night?
    dan

4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Nope,, like so many times in the past I did not "get lucky". In this case it was Mother Nature who left me standing there with not so much as a kiss. Had about an inch of slush on top of warm ground, it was all gone by midmorning when it changed to all rain.

5. Jason Pallas

Alan - thanks for your reply. That's exactly how I was thinking of hooking up the harness. I completely agree about being raped by the dealer - had it happen too many times - always trying to find an alternative parts source. Bad thing here was that I didn't even get a price from the dealer. That was a price from JThomas Distrib. - and they're usually pretty inexpensive. The whole harness (both male and female) would have been close to $180!!! I don't even want to think about what the Western Dealers would charge. Thanks again! J.

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

How about this. I need a new vented filler cap for my MVP. 42.00 from CPW. Talk about no kiss.
    Dino

7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

85 dollars for a cover for the Fisher or Western 2 stage tailgate spreader.

Geoff

8. Jason Pallas

Just an update - I installed two 6 pin trailer hookups yesterday to replace the 12 pin. Total cost $30 (about $7 per side per hookup). Works great - used lots of silicone and tape - much more accessible than the old one and LOTS Cheaper. Question: I've heard that you can replace dialectic grease with Marine or Wheel bearing grease on these electrical connections (as long as it's anti - corrosive). Anyone know if this is true?

9. Stephen

Stephen Member

my vented fill cap was that old style the pulled up for the vent and it seemed to be sucking in water on my fisher v last year. just put a new solid cap- no pop up vent on from the dealer ----$32.00 and I thought that was bad

10. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't know about Marine or Wheel bearing grease on the connections, but I have seen White Lithium grease used in that application (on the plug-in connectors for truck marker lights)

11. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

At the auto parts store the other day they had little packets of dielectric grease on the counter for 99¢ I bought a couple. Probably only had about 25¢ worth in each packet, but it wasn't like I was buying a vented cap for an MVP for $42.00. BTW plowking, did that include hand delivery and installation. :eek:

12. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

If you're talking about silicone sealant (RTV) that is about the worst stuff you can have around electrical connections. It contains acetic (sp) acid, the same stuff that is in vinegar, which explains the smell. It corrodes copper wiring very quickly. In the early days of RTV they made a big point of bragging about insulating wires with it by slipping a short section of plastic soda straw over the wire before solding the connection and then pumping the straw full of RTV. That ad wasn't around for long and after I used it once I found out why! Green stuff where the wire used to be, copper totally rotted out in a couple years. What does work good is a product from Permatex called "The Right Stuff", black rubbery compound in either an aerosol tube or a caulking gun tube. Works great and totally non corrosive.

13. plowking35

from SE CT

I never bought that cap. I left two edges last year at my plow dealer, and he installed them, but we never worked out payment. So this year I am looking for the filler cap and a new MVP controller to have as a spare. Might get a few other goodies as well in trade when the time comes.
    Dino

14. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

Has anyone tried this idea on a SnoWay plow? I think the conection for the plow sucks. It is hard enough to align when it is halfway warm outside, but I could only imagine how hard it will be when it is -10 degrees outside.

15. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Ummmmm

What idea? If you're talking about trailer plugs to replace the main harness connector they won't handle the current load of the plow motor. The trick to the Sno-way plug is to make sure the screw part of the cap is backed off, then look at the plug and find the alignment notch and line it up first, then turn the cap until it engages and pulls the connector together. A bit of a pain, but I never thought it was all that bad.

16. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

I have a friend who has the Western hookup. Just push in and ready to go. The Sno-Way takes a little to get used to.

17. plowking35

from SE CT

While the western and fisher plugs go together easy, they are also more prone to loosening while plowing as well. Everytine I get out I go over and make sure they are snug.
    Its not that they fall apart, but especially with the v plows, and the many and varied function controls, a really good connection is a must.
    Dino