1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help!!! 04 2500 HD overheating!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Docdiggler, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Docdiggler

Docdiggler Junior Member

Have not tried it with plow off, but going down a road no matter with the plow way up or way down. Angled or not, heater on or off. Old 98 never did anything like that. Climbs right up to 260 and all the bells and whistles go off. Two dealers say Chevy knows about the problem and does nothing about it. I can not belive I can buy a new truck (with plow prep package) put 8000 miles on it and they will do nothing?!?!?!?! Changed the thermostat as it seems to climb up there once and then drops back down before the whistles go off or after you are on the side of the road for a while it drops back down and never goes back up. Does not do it idling or plowing.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated. P.S. Western straight plow if that makes a difference.

Thanks
    Doc

2. Jone43

Jone43 Member

Was the grille pasked with ice and snow? Just a stab in the dark, but I noticed my temp creaping up on my '03 2500hd and when I got out is was packed with ice. Good luck.

3. Docdiggler

Docdiggler Junior Member

No snow in grill

4. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

There is a revised clutch fan for that truck which will solve the problem.

5. alittle1

alittle1 Member

Doc,
    Not necessarily the grille but is the A/C condenser plugged with fine snow? Try putting the heater selector in the bilevel or A/c position in order to have the fan(s) come on to draw cooler air thru the condenser and rad core. Also, put on a higher rated pressure cap like 22 lbs.

NOTE: In order for max air to move through the core, air must be able to move out of the engine compartment. Make sure your not plugged up under the oil pan and transmission, or frame cross members. Try knocking off some of the undercarriage ice and snow pack. As a last resort, try cracking the hood open to the first notch and see if that helps.

6. Docdiggler

Docdiggler Junior Member

Thanks guys, where can I find out more about this clutch fan??? The two dealers I talked to dont know a thing about it.

7. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

8. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

Do a search for "overheating" or look in the chevy section - it is talked about quite often.

-Greg

9. rtp

rtp Junior Member

Docdiggler

I know what proplem is your plow is blocking the airflow to your raditor.THERE is a product called the coooler you mount on plow it redirects the air to your raditor and works great.SPREAD THE NEWS.TO get one Email shannapavey@yahoo.com. RTP

10. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

there is a t.s.b.

go to any reputable dealer and explain the problem and tell them there is a technical service bulletin addressing the issue.another reason i beleive they(all manufacturers)dont care about what there putting out anymore.quality is out the window.i have an 01 2500 hd and had to have the clutch fan replaced for the same problem.you would think by now they would have corrected this.no more new trucks for me.ill buy old and restore.i beleive 87 was the last good year for a real truck from gm

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Just a guess. Western plows sit a long way off the front of the truck. They really change the airflow. If you don't have a snow deflector on the front I would put one on. This makes the air curl more and will allow more air to go over the plow and through the grill.

12. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

Don't hold your breath for a fix.....The fan clutch for the TSB is been backordered indefinitely....Good Luck. :cry: