1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hello.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Primo, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Primo

Primo Junior Member

Hi there. My name is Stan and I live in Vancouver B.C. I have my own contracting business and am considering buying a plow and doing some residential plowing this winter to help supplement my income during the slower months. Now getting set up in these parts is somewhat risky as there is not always LOTS of snow but usually some.

I have operated different types of machinery in my career such as fork lifts and lift trucks but no plowing.I am looking to start small and potentially move up to commercial contracts if all goes well.

I own a 1993 Ram 250 LE with a 5.9 Cummins that has been VERY well taken care of. It is a beast of a truck and performs (and rides!) more like a tractor than a truck. It still has kingpins in the front end and I have the rear bagged. Outside of that and trailer brakes she is pretty stock but tight. What type of plow could she handle? I don't need an 8' or anything (yet!) but am more curious to hear opinions about type of plow and/or if this is even a good enough truck to consider (eventually) going commercial with.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am new to this but smart, quick to learn and tenacious as all hell. This is something I am hoping to turn into a winter gig and not some cowboy who smells easy money. I read the beginner post and am well aware of legal pitfalls and enter this with respect for the industry. Just need a little direction starting out. Thanks in advance. Stan.

2. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Hello, and welcome. This is the first time I've gotten to do this. As for finding a plow for your rig, that truck will handle most any plow you could find a mount for. I would suggest something used, and something straight. If you plan on doing strictly residential, take a look at a back-dragging edge and some wings. Depending on how invested in that truck you are, a rear plow from snowman snowplows would be the cats meow for driveways. The early 90's diesel dodge trucks are great rigs, never plowed with one myself, but I've seen a lot out plowing. Most the 90's dodges I've seen are running fishers and westerns.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009