1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by billywad, Oct 13, 2008.

1. billywad

billywad Junior Member

I am new to the site and new to the commercial plowing industry. I currently have a '88 Chevy 2500 with a Boss straight plow. I am looking to start by subbing for some guys I know but they all keep telling me I would be more valuable if I had a v-plow. Can anyone shed some light on why. Thanks for any additional info.
  2. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I don't know what kind of lots you are plowing, for a apartment and storage complexs a v-plow is great. Also a v-plow prob gets a job done faster then a straight blade can. Which would mean less hours you would be plowing!

Welcome to plowsite:waving:
  3. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Just put a pair of prowings on your plow. A lot of guys still do commercial lots with straight blades. Even if you have a V-plow it will be in straight mode 90% of the time in big lots. I have been cleaning commercial lots with a straight blade for the last 8 yrs. I'm getting a V-plow for this winter because one of the lots that I plow have changed somethings and it has to be plowed a different way that it will be easier with a v-plow. I'm taking my straight blade and putting it on a different truck. Welcome to the site:drinkup:
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Welcome Billy. I have plowed with a straight and a V. the V makes cleaning up alot faster. I will never go back to a straight blade. Cuts my time on each account by a 1/3 with the V.
  5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

or it means you can get more accounts which lead to more payup
  6. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Only if he has a ton of work!:waving:
  7. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Icey what if your cousin ask you to get a v-plow...would u do it? He has the same work he has last year also!
  8. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

V's are better able to stack snow, and when put in scoop, can contain more snow in front of the truck.:):)
  9. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Well since you are subbing, being more efficient won't really help you because you probably paid by the hour. Now, if you can get $15 to $20 more per hour with a V, then its worth it.
  10. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

they want you to get done quicker so they can make more money its a scam