1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hello

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowfighter, Jun 29, 2004.

1. snowfighter

snowfighter Junior Member

Hi guys
    I'm new to this site, let me introduce myself.
    My name is Tim, I work for Pa Dept of Transportation, as an equipment operator
    I run a 2002 Mack R model with a 270 hp motor, 9 speed Roadranger Tranny.
    A majority of my roads are interstate but I do take care of some class b thru d roads
    I am also certified to run our Oshkosh Snowblower, this thing is a beast
    I think it's a 1964 Chassis, 6 wheel drive.

I'm looking for some help
    I am currently on our safety committee at work and we have an issue that has been delegated to me to find a solution

On our R model Macks we have split windshields, during a good snow storm, the snow will build up in the valley near the split to a point you can't see
    We would like to put some window heat tape on these areas to help melt it away while driving and highspeed plowing, so we can see a little better

It there an aftermarket device that would help ?
    I suggested getting new heated windshield for the Macks that are available through a dealer.
    But with 54 trucks in our fleet it would be very costly.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

If I can be of any help to anyone I will gladly help in any way possible

Thanks
    Tim

2. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

After reading this twice.....It hit me that you might want to get in touch with an aircraft window manufacturer. They may "ice tape" for sale. Even the same voltage! Keep me informed. I will be at the airport tommorow waxin' the plane. I'll ask around.

-Doc-

3. snowfighter

snowfighter Junior Member

Thanks Propjckey

Thats what we are looking for a type of heat tape that can be installed on the areas, but won't obstruct any viewing .

I looked on the internet, I found a few leads but nothing promising

Thanks again
    Tim

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Welcome to plowsite!!:waving: :drinkup:

5. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Welcome! You will love it here!