1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hello to Everyone

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Samwyze, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Samwyze

Samwyze Junior Member

Hello,

I've lurked for quite a while now and decided to introduce myself. I'm from Newfoundland and have gone from working under someone landscaping, to under the same person plowing, to owning my own landscaping business and am now to this point.

I want to step out from the shadows and go at snow plowing on my own.

A little background is I am still in university for one more year and have squeezed work in every crevice (summer and storms) I can find. Now entering my final year and given the progression I've made going independent this summer landscaping it's time to put a plow on my begging truck.

I have only previously plowed in a Fisher HD 8" blade on a HD1500. I won't be accepting any contracts, will be given "limited" opportunities to sub under my previous employer and will be doing several residential and family properties that have already invested interest in my expansion to snow removal.

I drive an F-250 SD XLT Diesel Crew Cab Short Box and after a month of scouring information on this site and on my own end, I believe a 8" 6' V - Plow is what I am in the works for. I understand I have no experience with it, but nor am I working from scratch with 2 partial seasons under my belt. Fisher XV2, Boss V-XT, SnowDogg VXF are my forefronts. These are most likely beyond my needs for this year but I don't plan to sell this truck anytime soon, I live in a place that it snows at least 6' a week for more than half the year and I have proven my motivation to work for myself.

If you've made it this far, what are your thoughts, is it overkill, am I not ready for a V, is this truly future-proof? or is this a potential flagship for my expansion to winter.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I'm guessing it doesn't really snow 6 feet a week but maybe 6 inches.
    Regardless of what I'm plowing I wouldn't buy a straight blade again. Of your choices I would pick the Fisher and when you want to expand buy the factory wings for it.

Are you planning on doing this after university?

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

4. Samwyze

Samwyze Junior Member

Wrong hashes, 6 inches at the minimum yes.

In the forseen future yes, my degree is fairly specific so it will take me a while to find a job in that field. Combined with the fact that my summer business has taken off and fueled the purchase of the truck, it would only make sense to utilize it during the winter.

Thank you for the advice.

5. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

BOSS V in my opinion very simple to use and repair.

6. Samwyze

Samwyze Junior Member

Thank you for the advice, Dan.

I've heard the same thing from a couple friends about the ease of use with Boss plow and given they have the most representation in my area sales-wise, this may be the way I go.

7. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

No problem Thumbs Up

Order it and install it yourself, that way you'll know how to fix it.

8. Samwyze

Samwyze Junior Member

Update:

Was hoping for a little more input. After crunching numbers, talking with my local dealers and looking up all the information available to me. I pulled the trigger on a Meyer Super V2 8' 6". The dealer stood out as cheaper than all the other V's in my immediate area, they've done work on my truck before and have given me a business account moving forward.

My question is I've been offered the choice between MS and SS.

The difference is under a grand.

I am not able to store this plow inside for this winter, but have been told a simple "A" frame with a tarp and some blocks to sit on will suffice. I take care of all my equipment like a middle aged house-wife with OCD so cleaning and maintenance during the season and after isn't a question. Given this, should I suck it up and pay the difference, is SS that much better against rust?

P.S. a grinder and some spray paint doesn't scare me if I stay with the banana yellow *******.

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Congratulations with the decision to buy a Vee, you will not regret it. I prefer stainless myself but the rest of the plow frame is good old rusty iron. The moldboard is the thinnest gauge of steel, in theory I suppose it would rust-through quicker.

10. Samwyze

Samwyze Junior Member

Thanks olddog.

Feels like the summer all over again, little guaranteed work in a competitive market. Sounds like home to me, cheer's to 100" plus.

11. Brando55

Brando55 Member

Are you in St. John's? Up until this season I would have told you to go with boss but since our dealer is no longer going to be selling them I am in a bit of a pinch myself. Been a boss man for 5 years now but my next option is going to have to be snowdogg I think. Dealer is great to deal with and just remember dealer support is the most important thing when its snowing and your blade is down. By the way Im in NL as well. If your looking for any more info feel free to ask.

12. Samwyze

Samwyze Junior Member

I am indeed in St. John's. I was set on boss as well but the hike to Grand-Falls to go to Islander RV to purchase the plow then have it serviced in the city by a the former dealer here, all sounded like bad news. Action is where I ended up landing, with their new location right on kenmount made it even more appealing. Would appreciate if I could pick up some information off you if you're willing.

13. Brando55

Brando55 Member

yes no problem man. you can message me if you have any questions. Personally I would stay away from action but that's up to you. I doubt you will get a number for someone there to help you out after hours if your having any issues and normally that's when they will happen.

14. Samwyze

Samwyze Junior Member

I was thinking that myself when I first approached Action, but I felt like it would be stupid not to at least investigate it. You're right they do not have 24H emergency service. Given that and we'll call it a hint from the person who served me at Action I have the contact info for a mechanic in the city that will do emergency service for what he quoted in price as "not an arm or a leg, but maybe a pinky toe or ear lobe". This combined with the fact they had history with my truck and offered a on-going business discount, it was hard to not justify it as the best choice.

I truly wish I could have bit down on a Boss Power V-XT or DXT, but the hassle behind it would not have been worth it.

15. Samwyze

Samwyze Junior Member

[​IMG]

The end result. Now just need some snow.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  16. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Nice truck and plow!