1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hello to all

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by h_riderca, Sep 16, 2003.

1. h_riderca

h_riderca Member

I have been lurking for the past year gathering information on a plow to put on a 2000 4x4 blazer. I will only be using it on about 6 driveways. I have narrowed my selection down to Suburbanite/Homesteader, Blizzard 680 or the Western 6.5' with a custom mount. I have left the Sno-Way off the list becuase the closest dealer is about 45 minutes away.

The only thing that I worry about is the plastic blade that the Suburbanite / Homesteader is using. But then again I have read here that it has been used with no proplems.

Do you people think that the Blizzard and Western are to much plow for what I need?

Thanks
    Peter

2. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

The Homesteader and Suburbanite are listed as PERSONAL USE plows. The Blizzard and regular style Western are built to withstand a little more IMO. I also hear that the Suburbanite and Homesteader cost nearly the same as a Blizzard or Western would cost for your truck. If you are going to be plowing a few drives with your truck id go with either the Western or Blizzard. The small Western works great. I have a 6.6 on my truck and have never had a problem.

Jay

3. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite h_riderca. Another canuck, eh.:) I can't help with your question but I'm sure you'll get your answer quick enough.

4. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

For your western choice, is that the light duty model or the standard 6.5'. I would go with the standard 6.5', and put a set of timberns on the front for good measure!

Chuck B.

5. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Just correcting Meyer22288. I hope you did not see a 6' 6" LSX because you are the only one who has ever seen one. There is no such thing as a LSX 6.6 there is an LSX 7' 2". The 6' 6" models are the USU 6.5 sport utility blade and the US 6.5 standard blade.

Jay

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I checked out the Homesteader this summer. As you know, it's a homeowner model, not made for commercial use. What stuck me ironic is that it's a full trip moldboard, where all the other Fishers are trip edge. Not that there is anything wrong with full trip. Also, apparently to save weight, there are no springs. I'd think as long as you realize what you're buying is not intended for commercial use, you should be fine with any of the models you listed.

7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

We now await Meyers reply to Jay...the suspense is gonna kill me...:D Mike :drinkup:

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Don't get wise guys.

So what he probably made a mistake. Not knowing Westerns that well I would have done the same. I have seen them up close at Garagekeepers and a local shop here but I do not know the exact names. Heck I own Fishers but am not sure what series 6.5 blade I have. The point he was making is that he say a 6.5 Western blade and it looked well made. I agree with him from what I have seen.

9. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

There was no intent to be wise in my reply. My intent was to prove a point that if you don't know the product then don't go leading someone who is asking for advice in the wrong direction. Giving false advice only confuses people more.

Jay

Last edited: Sep 16, 2003
  10. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

If the monies are close, then the Blizzard would be the #1 choice. Western is a fine blade BUT Blizzard is the only one in that class that has the power assist hook up. (pretty sure about this) After hooking up the standard mount blades for years, it is an extremely nice feature to have. :nod:

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

And my point was that there is no evidence that he does not know the product, just not the right name. No harm in that. You pushing his buttons does not help. Rather a simple correction such as "Just to clarify the 6.5 Western is not a LSX but possibly a USU or US blade" would have gotten the point across in a much clearer way and not have any confused intent linked with it.

12. h_riderca

h_riderca Member

The Western I was looking at was the 6.5' Sport Utility with a Unimount. The price is $1300.00 CDN cheaper for the Blizzard then the western installed. I think the Blizzard is cheaper becuase the dealer just started to carrying their line of plows. Some of the price difference is also becuase the dealer is going to create a custom Western mount for the 2000 Blazer

Thanks for everyones comments. I'm leaning towards the Blizzard 680. I will post a pic of what it looks like after it has been mounted.

Peter

13. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Jay im sorry im not perfect, i apologize i had went under western's website to see what plow they had for his truck and i saw the sport ultility plow and the LSX. i Must have not payed attenion to what i typed i will be more carefull next time. I apologize for any confussion i have caused. Wont happen againpumpkin:

14. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh boy, let just get back to topic .....

With the fact that you are going to be doing 6 driveway, I would not looking into "homeowner" plow (Fisher Homesteader). I would choose either the Western or Blizzard. They are supposely to be better built and stronger plow suitable for small plowing business. Fisher do make excellent snowplows, but I think that their Homesteader will not stand up to your task. However they do have 6'9" LD model. You should try to check with your dealer and see if it will fit your vehicle.

15. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yea, Steve has a good point too by getting something a little bit better. Its like we tell everyone else, you may start off just doing your own driveway and a few neighbors or friends, but little by little you "may" start doing more accounts than you thought you would have and you will wish you had gotten the better, more heavy duty plow. The plow is something you are only gonna buy one time, so you might as well spend the couple extra hundred bucks or so and get the best built plow the truck can accept. Just something to think about. Mike :)

16. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with what Mike just said. Alot of times people will get more driveways than they originally thought. Then they will regret that they did not spend a couple hundred bucks for stronger plow in the first place. So we are just trying to help steer you into the right path, and steer you away from making a costly mistake. Good luck with your decision.

17. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Go with the blizzard or western .How do you know your not gonna get more driveways in the future?

18. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sorry to respond so late,but Welcome to Plowsite.

I'd put a Snoway on it.I have several off them,and they work great on the little S10's and Jimmy\Blazers.Very clean mounting setup,and much very light.

Call Kooy Bros at 400\Wilson and inquire about them.Not sure where you are in T.O. but they should know if there is a closer dealer.

As set of Timbrens would also help.