1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hello To All

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by RedTriton, Nov 22, 2010.

1. RedTriton

RedTriton Junior Member

hey guys my name is cam and i am 17 from plymouth,mass this will be my first year plowing. any tips or words of wisdom?
  2. dgerke

dgerke Member

Welcome Cam best i can offer is Have good insurance, reliable equipment and be safe good luck hope you make some $ this year.:mechanic::mechanic:
  3. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

A plowtruck is not a tank.
  4. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

words of wisdom........ DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!

But seriously, be sure to have good insurance, Know your costs of doing business (overhead), know your truck and plow, and take it slow
  5. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Read on this site for 10 hrs, learn from your mistakes, be prepared for breakdowns, and take it slow. All the best.
  6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Don't get in over your head. And just go slow and easy. When you start rushing things break or you get stuck.
  7. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Good luck

Yes to all the above.

I would like to add "Know your cost per hour" for your truck and plow. Don't guess at your pricing and don't charge a rate just because that's what everyone else is charging. If you need help with that we can help.

Also, by a spreader for the back of your truck. You will make more money with that than you will plowing in most any market. Don't give the "good stuff" away. The deicing that is!
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

read the "stickies" at the top
    good luck
  9. snowman6

snowman6 Senior Member

Like everyone else said. Go slow, have good insurance, and buy a spreader. Best of luck to you.:waving:
  10. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Go back to school and try harder.
  11. RedTriton

RedTriton Junior Member

thanks guys all great input. a little more info about my self im a senior in highschool who has already been accepted into my target college for diesels and i work at a marina. but in the summer my dad and uncle own a charter boat comany so i do that. and my dad has plowed before when i was younger so i understand the concept of the plow will on do as much damage to anything truck included as you want it to
  12. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Ouch. :laughing:
  13. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

OH!!!!! would you like some butter with that Toast!

But umm work for someone else!
  14. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

dont listen to ajsland, he stuck on building a shead for a polaris ranger!

the best advise i can give you is try and find some one to work for that will keep you busy but not over you head!
  15. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

doty dot
    ooo shiney lights!