1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hello! New to the forum/Building my own plow.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rosswidebeef, Dec 10, 2009.

1. rosswidebeef

rosswidebeef Member

Hey guys I've been plowing for a years now. I live in ohio. I have an old meyers plow on a 93 blazer. The frame on the plow is rusted out to the point that if I hit a curb too hard I gurantee it will break. SO! I decided to build my own plow, I am more interested in pushing snow then rolling it so I designed it to have 2 - 150 degree bends. the plow is 6'9" in width. It will have 5 braces behind it with angle iron on the top and bottom as well. I will eventually gusset those braces. The arms and pivot point for the plow are yet to be decided completely. Any suggestions or ideas would be great to hear. =) here are some pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rosswidebeef

rosswidebeef Member

lol or not

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Welcome to the site and good luck with the build

4. big acres

big acres Senior Member

lol... at your screen name (insert beavis and butthead laugh).

5. rosswidebeef

rosswidebeef Member

Hello got to work on the plow earlier today, here is all we got done. after drilling 15 holes and trimming everything to size and breaking my chop saw blade. the frame and blade are done. just need to mount the brackets to make the plow pivot up and down and side to side and mount the springs. heres some pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

looks like you have a good plan. I am worried that because of the bends in your supports they won't act as the support you may want though. You have basically made crumple zones if you know what I mean. It looks solid, but that is my only concern. Good luck and I respect what you are doing, I couldn't do anything close to that!

7. f8lkx450

f8lkx450 Junior Member

Just my opinion but it looks like that is going to bend back open. If you caught the corner of the blade on something it seems like it would bend out pretty easy or break the welds. None of the metal is strong in the position of being flat.
    I would cut some pieces with the angles in them and weld perpendicular to the back of the 5 vertiacal supports. It would also give a place to mount pivot point on 2nd and 4th brace if cut out right.
    If the pieces went all the way to the angle stock it would help support that weld that connects braces to angle stock on bottom edge. The welds of braces to angle on bottom are going to have leverage pulling and shocking on them trying to roll it under.
    It would also help because there is going to be at least 2 feet of levrage on the lower angle stock and cutting edge if bottom corner hits something
    I did a little picture below incase I didnt explain it well. the "o" would be the pivont point. The bottom would have to be on a little angle to match angle iron but you get the idea. 5 of those and it would be solid for sure. If you dont have anything to cut like below you could cut and weld angle stock or bar stock (lighter).

Just my thoughts. I like the project. Are you using hydros and stuff off of other plow?

ignore the dots.
    .... ___
    ..../..../
    .../.../
    ./..../
    l....l
    l....l
    l.o.l
    .\....\
    ...\....\
    ....\___\

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  8. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Yep...needs more support, I think.....Angle iron would have more strength..Also, I would be concerned with the bends instead of a continuous curve.......I may be just fine, what do I know?, but I would think if that is the way to go, one of the manufacturers would have done it.......

Waiting for the end result, will be interesting.

9. f8lkx450

f8lkx450 Junior Member

I agree they are made how they are for a reason. I would copy a big name plow to a T. Only reasons I can think they are curved is a continuous curve helps curl the snow over sooner and prevents creating so much up force on the plow picking it up off the ground. At a good speed with heavy snow it might reduce down pressure of plow. Also rocks and ice chunks would roll through it better and do less damage to skin instead of hiting angles. I dont think bends will unbend if braced like I said above.

10. rosswidebeef

rosswidebeef Member

Well I planned on gusseting with 20 triangle pieces, 10 on top 10 on bottom so the angle iron doesnt rip off. I originally planned on doing 5 - 1-1/2 inch wide sections that are shaped like the bracing to help gusset but decided against it. I may still go with it, having a plasma cutter would be amazing right about now. Either way I'm doing it for fun and just to see if I can make something like this work. I had it bent instead of rolled because it would possibly be better for pushing rather than rolling the snow off to the side. we'll see how it holds up though. I will be using all the hydraulic stuff off of the other setup till I snag another old meyers pump for 50 dollars again haha. this plow I'm building now HAS GOT to be atleast a little stronger than the paper thin meyers I have right now.if I hit a curb with it, it may rip apart without thinking twice unfortunately.

11. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

My Meyer 6 footer was getting pretty rough.......I covered the mold board with a piece of acrylic plastic, maybe its plexiglas....it was free regardless

[​IMG]

12. rosswidebeef

rosswidebeef Member

so after my severe case of flash burn to the eyes and missing work because I couldnt see... btw I do wear a mask, when my buddy was welding I may have been too close...

We were going to do a bunch of work to it today but my buddy got somthing lodged in his eye at work and we decided not too.

bad luck with the eyes right? haha

But I went out today to get the plate for it to pivot right and left on, hopefully this weekend the plow will be close to finished if not finished... still have yet to pick up springs. Buying bar ends from suicidedoors.com for the attatchment to the truck frame itself tonight. updates soon to come.

13. rosswidebeef

rosswidebeef Member

looks good but your cutting edge is looking pretty dull.

14. rosswidebeef

rosswidebeef Member

Time for an update. Ive been hitting this plow pretty slow. I wrecked my kia (Kia vs. Deer) and had a lack of funds. Thank you deer... Atleast the kia won. anyways I have the plow just about done I need a blade for the bottom and to hook up the springs and put the bar ends on the part where it pivots on the frame to go up and down. Other than that this thing is just about done! Heres some pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. rosswidebeef

rosswidebeef Member

16. ranger88den

ranger88den Senior Member

Good job keep us posted!

17. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Fabrication isn't easy good luck on the project...

18. rosswidebeef

rosswidebeef Member

Any input?

19. heavyiron

heavyiron Member

Like some of the other guys said, I'd be concerned with the moldboard bending backwards - but that depends on what you're pushing with and how much you beat on it... Your work looks pretty tidy - it'd take me a lot of tries to make something come out that good.

20. rosswidebeef

rosswidebeef Member

I agree when standing on it, it bends a tiny bit while jumping. I plan on getting pieces made to go behind all those 5 braces to gusset it so it doesn't move at all. Thanks for the compliments. =)