1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hello New guy here

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Saleenguy, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Saleenguy

Saleenguy Junior Member

I just signed up to this forum a few minutes ago, and this is my first post.

My name is Marty, and I hope to gain wisdom here before buying.

I live in the country and have a driveway about 100 feet long, and plow it to about 15 feet wide, so not a lot of plowing, and no commercial plow work.
    On occasion I may help out a neighbour or 2 and plow their driveways to.

I am planning to buy a new F350 Supercrew with 8 foot box, and put a plow on it.

I am going to get 4 wheeldrive, limited slip rear diff, with 4.10 gears, and the gasser V10.

What is a good plow for this truck, I do not plan to be hard on it ramming snow banks or anything.

My last plow truck was many years ago and was a steel Arctic plow on a F250 diesel.

I am thinking a poly blade is lighter and maybe good for me.
    I do want power angle is all.

And should I just go 8 foot blade, or longer?

And what make, say Boss, Arctic, Western or what?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go with a Boss V Plow.

Welcome to the sitetymusic
  3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

A Boss 9' strait blade would work great on that truck. V plows work great but since you are only plowing your own driveway a strate blade will work good. And if you get a 9' Boss get one with a trip edge.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How much snow does your area see? What plow dealers are there around you? A 8 1/2 foot 32 series Snoway would be a good choice, but don't buy any plow you cann't get local service for.
  5. Saleenguy

Saleenguy Junior Member

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a trip edge.

And thanks for your help.
  6. Gerry125

Gerry125 Senior Member

Buying a plow becomes a personal choice,but having a dealer close by can make things alot easier.I bought a western because my dealer is 10 miles away and is open when ever it snows for parts and repairs.
  7. Saleenguy

Saleenguy Junior Member

Thanks for the warm reception everyone.

I realize I under-estimate the driveway length a lot, its closer to 200 feet long.

We live near the top of a small mountain on 3.4 acres, and get a lot more snow than in town, it snows on average 3 inches to a foot at a time here, about a few times per week in the winter season.
    So I would guess I would be plowing maybe 40 to 50 times a year, but would hope to keep the plow many years.
    As I said earlier, I do not plan to let anyone else use it, and would be fairly gentle myself.
    And its a gravel driveway with some small rocks and potholes.
  8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

A trip edge is a cutting edge that trips back when you hit somthing. So the whole blade doesn't trip only your cutting edge. Go to www.fisherplows.com or www.bossplow.com to learn more they have alot of info on trip edges.
  9. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Here's what I've found from this site: Every member here has there preference. Be it Meyer, Fisher, Western, Boss, Sno-Way, whatever, and they'll adhere strictly to that.

What I would do is talk to some local plow contractors, or distributors, and see what they would suggest for your truck based on your needs, and the amount of snow you see on average.