1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hello Illinois!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SCL, Mar 1, 2002.

1. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Looks like they're predicting 6"-12" 15-30 mph winds. Have said it has the potential to be the biggest in 5 years. Potential is a good thing. Lets see where it goes. Gotta go change my oil. Good luck Midwestern plowers.
    Scott

2. hiranger

hiranger Member

I am down here in Peoria on pins and needles waiting for the snow. Let's hope we get more snow than we did Monday. We were supposed to get 4 inches Monday, but only got 1. Keep your fingers crossed brother!

3. indianaplowboy

indianaplowboy Junior Member

Hope you guys do well this go around because NE Indiana will not. From this point forward Florida should relinquish "the sunshine state" and give it to Indiana. Indiana will now be known as "the sunshine, snow melting, no accumulation state".
    Oh well. it will be what it will be.
    Go get the snow Illinois!!
    :D

4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

If this storm is as bad as they say, I may get back in the black again.:D

5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

We'll see...

At the dealership, we picked up a few pallets of salt, moved all the used cars inside the building, and made room in the service lot to pile snow. Everything is organized like it has never been before.... which means the snow will probably pass us since we're so prepared.

I could really use this storm though. It's nice that it's hitting on the weekend too. Keep your fingers crossed!

6. mtnbkn9

mtnbkn9 Member

I'm getting ready to go out now, we have about 3" on the ground so far maybe we will actually really make some money now......:D

7. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Started here about 8:30. Go baby go. Went out and pre salted at 7:30. Hang on slim here it comes. You got it right about the weekend thing. Can sleep in an extra 2 hours;)

8. paul

paul PlowSite.com Veteran

Ok it's 2 am here and I've called out my crews. Have 4" on the ground already, they are calling for 8" to 12"+ looks like it's going to be a long night. My contract calls for by the hr after 8" so if it keeps up it will make a nice end to the year:)

9. Heavenly Green

Heavenly Green Junior Member

Anyone need another plow truck I can be there in 4 to 5 hrs.
    No snow here there calling for 1" then RAIN. Good luck guys now go make that money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve @S&S Heavenly Green Lawns:D

10. mtnbkn9

mtnbkn9 Member

I've been plowing since 9:00 last night stopped snowing for a little bit but guess what started again.....show me the money.....

11. mxrdrvr3

mxrdrvr3 Junior Member

:D I am hitching a ride with Steve from Heavely Green i will be co-pilot:D HEY good luck guys wish u all well

12. Plow Meister

Left the house at 3:30a.m. and worked until 1:00p.m. The snowflakes coming down are HUGE!!! Looks like I will have to go out again in a bit. Gotta keep those restaurants and gas stations clean:D . I just LOVE those hourly accounts!!

13. paul

Ok plowed from 3 am til 10 am, sent the crews home for a rest, will be back plowing around 10 pm. Got 5" at 10 am, snowing pretty hard now about 1" an hr. nice to get a rest in between :)

14. SlimJim Z71

Man this has been a great storm. We've probably had about 5-8" total. Went out at 2am, the first time I dropped the blade and started pushing, everything was moving really well. Snow 30-feet in front of my plow was sliding... by the end of the run, I had pushed an ENORMOUS pile of snow. Once the sun came up, it got a little heavy, but nothing too taxing.

I agree, it nice to have a little rest in between. I'm gonna try and get some sleep so I can go hit those drifts in the morning. Looks like it's gonna be a windy day tomorrow, and very cold. Hopefully things will go as smooth as they did today...

15. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Started late this morning at 4.am. First account I push is my best, a motel. Just finishing and I blow the hydraulic line to the plow. It's not that easy, it's central hydraulics. Run home and back in biz in 3 hours. Thank goodness its Sat. and noone is screaming for service. Pushed all day, came home to eat and rest for a few hours. Went back out to keep a few things open tonight and man is it drifting. Should be able to push a good part of tomorrow. We got our 4" here by 7a.m. then it turned to rain for an hour, then back to those big wet flakes. 10:30 p.m. now and its still snowing and blowing. Paul hit it on the head, good way to end the season, if this is the end. :(

16. Plow Meister

2 days i a row with a nice break between

Just got back from yet another 4" of the white stuff. Very dry snow. Likes to trail off. Left the house at 4:00 and immediately went to the 24 hr sites. Since it was Sunday I could take my time and relax a bit. After all was done (1:30 p.m.) the driveway calls started. I put a flyer with phone # tabs up at the grocery store. They really work great! Best $0.15 I have ever spent. I got 5 extra drives with it! Now it is 5:14 and I am now finished with my bills. I hope everyone else in the area was as lucrative as me. Now it is time to cuddle with wifey and snooze. Up tomorrow at 4:00 to get my CDL license.

17. paul

I can't call this one fun. Snow started Friday night, ended Sunday 3 am. We did have a break Saturday, from 10 am til 10:30 pm but blowing and drifting snow caused us to go out today at 2 pm. Now all thats left is parking space clean up at one condo asscoation, we'll start that around 10 am tomorrow.

It's been a long week end good thing I have all week to catch up on my sleep.

18. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

Storm really sucked for me. My flywheel went out on my truck and couldn't get the thing started. That truck is history. At least I got a few shoveling jobs done with mtnbkn9. If I could have found a Snoway dealer closer to my town that stocked subframes, I would have had the plow on my new truck.

19. SCL

SCL Senior Member

This storm was worthwhile. Started again onSunday at 4:30 and finished at 2:00PM. Broke my heat selector cable, leave it on defrost and wear the Carharts. Back out Mon a.m. to clean a few spots. Overall I think we had 8-10" but its darn hard to tell with the way it drifted. Gotta remember that the second biggest snow storm in Illinois in the last 5 years happened on April 11. 10" I think. We'll be ready.:)

20. SlimJim Z71

I'm ready for spring.... this winter has been so brutally boreing so far, I could use the warm weather. Save the snow for next year...