1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hello from Thunder Bay, ON.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Robertsons, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Robertsons

Robertsons Junior Member

Hey Guys and Gals,

Been a ghost on here for a few months and have had all my questions answered by that search function so many people can not seem to locate. The search function does not satisfy my need to connect with fellow insane people so here is a little about business and equipment. This is my first year plowing. However I am no newbie to operating or running a business.

Main Plow- 2004 Chev 3500 dump box with a western wide out, heated backup cam and dirty flood lights.
    Backup Plow/Blower truck-2008 Dodge 1500 with a western HTS, Ariens commercial 32" blower.

Either a skid-steer or 3rd truck in the works as I have got more work that I thought possible. As is some sort of spreading device.

I have 9 people so far who I can call on and are very reliable (mostly fellow students from Lakehead) and am very pumped about the upcoming season.

Anyone here from North Western Ontario?

2. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

You can connect with most of us canucks in the weather forum - you will find the thread - its the big one.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Great another Canuck!;)

4. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

These guys might plow you in a corner !!!

5. renorescue

renorescue Junior Member

Hey there,

I just started plowing this year in TBay. I do roofing and Renovations in the summer and have a simple setup:
    2011 F250 with a fisher xtreme V
    Deere skidsteer and dump trailer for removal

I am light on customers and am becoming increasingly frustrated in my sales staff for their lack of interest in securing plow contracts.
    I am considering making some calls tomorrow to see if I can line up some sub work. Any thoughts?
    Would also be nice to talk to you about potentially backing me up in case I have a breakdown.
    I am fully insured and properly set up so if you are the same way and would be willing to talk about reciprocating in the event of a catastrophe, that would be great!

Cheers,
    Tom

6. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Welcome to plow site

Hope you get buried in snow thisyear I am a little north of you in Thompson Man. good lucktymusic

7. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Sub work is a great way to learn the ropes of plowing & the industry. Have you been out yet? Good luck this year!

8. renorescue

renorescue Junior Member

I have 4 private driveways that I do plus my own and my shop but I can do all of that in about 2 hrs and only 4 drives are making me money. So far I love it though and I can smell the potential!
    I'm also thinkning that one of the best parts about subbing would be that I don't have to chase anyone for money. I work for insurance companies all summer long and I love it because I have just a few large customers instead of hundreds of smaller ones that I have to try and collect from. The profit margins are lower but I think it evens out when you factor in the volume and lack of collections

9. Robertsons

Robertsons Junior Member

Hello Tom,

Nice to hear from someone in the area! Could not find an option for private message so here is my email for the world to see: richard AT r-p-m.ca. I would very much like to meet up and discuss options with you.

Thanks for the welcomes from everyone else!

10. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Welcome, and good luck.

11. renorescue

renorescue Junior Member

Tx everyone! I'll post again when I finally make some progress or if I need some more advice.
    I did make some calls today and came up dry for digging up sub work. I did talk to one very helpful fella that is going to forward any calls he gets for private drives to me. He no longer has time to service them because of his contracts. Hopefully that gets me started!