1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hello from the B.C. Kootenay's

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by BC Handyman, Dec 17, 2010.

1. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Hello all, I/m the owner of JGD Handyman & I'm new to this site and am looking forward to being a part of this forum. I've been doing snow removal(by hand/shovel) for the last 7 years, but last year I got a little john deere 110 with a 39" snow blower. This year I got a 1991 dodge dakota 4x4 with a snowbear plow. Heres a picture of it. Ive had it for 6 weeks now,used it for close to 10hrs now. It's Great for a light duty plow. If anyone has any advice for me as a new plow operater/bidder, let me know. Thanks http://www.jgdhandyman.ca

Plow truck.JPG

2. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to Plowsite :waving:

3. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

goodluck this winter

4. BC Handyman

I will need a bit of luck as I'm using this tiny beast for a few lots and removing the city plow piles from residential lots. I know enough not to over push this little setsup. I did replace the winch strap and add those"offroad lights" to the plow, I'm putting in a switch for those lights in the cab so I dont have to get out to plug em in. The winch strap did bust on me my 3rd time out(I bought an extra) gained a few accounts this year so, so far its going good.

5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite, this place will help you out when you need it and they have a lots smart plowers on here
    that have been there, good luck this year.

6. BC Handyman

Video of my plow truck

Please check out my video I posted on youtube. I got some action shots of my new to me plow truck. There wasnt much to push,just enough to get out and make a bit of $. Sorry for the shakey camera work, 1 of my employee's took video & pics on my iPhone & he is clueless about tech or camera work.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaJEewz_s9s

7. BC Handyman

Dakota Plow action pictures

Here is 3 pics of my Dodge dakota plowing about 6" (+/- 1"in some areas) I am very happy with it's performance. Happy holidays ALL !!

plowing 1 2.JPG

plowing 2 2.JPG

Attached Files:

8. BC Handyman

Hello all, I got a new truck!! woo hoo!! Why? Because I wrecked the dakota already. I thought I would do so beacause the truck itself has too much power for the little light frame it has. I bent the FRAME,lol it was just the very front where the horns/bumper attach, so I found I guy 500km away that was willing to trade my 1991 dakota (not inculding my plow) for this 1999 dodge ram Laramie1500 4x4 automatic,which is my company colour(bonus) plus $2000 what you guys think? I think it is a good trade. I will post more pics after I get my plow on it(mount kit hopefully arrives before the snow)
    She looks realy clean so logos should look great. I just got new winter tires put on it after I took these pics, tomarrow I start to install plow wires(fun:cry:)
    I'm movin on up!

dodge ram.jpg

dodge ram1.jpg

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Are you putting the snow bear on that truck? If so, before you do, really think about where you want to take this plowing venture. If you are serious about it, even a little bit, you may want to think about upgrading the plow now. With the dakota, the plow was too much for the truck....well, now you have the opposite problem. A decent heavier duty plow can be had for not too much money and will go a lot further than the snowbear will. Not trying to put you down at all, just something to think about.

Good luck overall and welcome to the site!!!

10. BC Handyman

I agree with you, but I already have my snow bear plow, I do have to reinvest in new mounts, but I just dont have any more $ right now. I hope by next year I can get a new plow(with power tilt) something like a snow dogg 7.5 I do have to remember this is only a 1500 not a big 3500 What would everyone recommend as a "good fitting" plow for this ram 1500 that will be reliable for many years with minamal maintenace. I would get a used plow if I could find 1 for cheap near me, but only ones I found close to hear they want $1500-$3000 for OLD plows that need work.

11. BC Handyman

clean & new tires

Here is some pics of my truck all cleaned up & with my new tires.

img_0679 2.jpg

img_0677 2.jpg

12. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Truck looks good, did you ever get a plow on it?

13. BC Handyman

Plow now on new Dodge

I finaly got my plow on my new truck(took forever to get mounts) I missed the biggest storm so far this year(couldn't do a few places) I had to bust out my JD tractor to do some.
    Anyway here is 2 pics of my new truck with my blade on. I'm getting new winch and wiring this week,as I melted(yes melted) the relay after I cracked/broke my winch. As well as logo's on side, and my stobes came and back up buddy should be here soon.I'll more post pics when I do some more work to my new dodge. Happy plowing all

:bday: It's my birthday

img_0780.jpg

img_0784.jpg

14. Omran

Omran Senior Member
    from KY

looks very nice.

15. BC Handyman

New pics: door logo & stereo

I'm excited! I just got my door logo's on and a new stereo deck. I can't wait till I can afford the rest of the lettering/logo's. I'm also planning a custom bed bar for my mini strobes. Also thanks OMRAN, anyway here is the pics

img_0794 2.jpg

img_0796 2.jpg

img_0798.jpg

16. heavyiron

heavyiron Member

Looks like you have a great start on your business. I've always heard the Kootenays get tons of snow. Is that in the valleys as well as the mountains?

17. BC Handyman

The mountains can get a ton of snow, so can the valley's. As far as where gets more, of course the high mountains get the most, but the thing is here in the east or west kootenay's the elevation changes are rapid city-city. example: the closest other city to me (20miles away) is 1000feet higher. So point is it can really vary. It all depends on which way the clouds come inbetween which valley. Usually east kootenay(where I am) get less snow then west kootenay. this year for example we had 16 events so far.(nov 16-jan16) We dont get 24" snows here often like the east coast,ours are 2"-12" events usually.

18. BC Handyman

My custom light bar

I just got my custom made light bar/rack. I designed it, friend welded it. I painted it,(I'm going to repaint black in the summer) got it installed. I'm really happy with it(exactly how I wanted it) Here is a few pics of the rack. I also posted a video of my strobes in action at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMzbjYyfreU

img_0849.jpg

img_0854.jpg

img_0856.jpg

19. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

Nice truck, I like the color too!

20. BC Handyman