1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hello From Montreal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mtloz, Dec 2, 2015.

1. mtloz

mtloz Junior Member

I've been reading a lot on the site and using that search button a lot but I couldn't find more specific answers for my own situation so I thought I'd make an account, put my flamesuit on and hope for the best!

I have to admit, I don't know much about the business of snow in itself. However, I have good business sense and you won't see me ask whether or not charging 50$ for a seasonal contract is a good idea when I know very well that most people in my area charge in the 300-500$ range for it.

Now that I got that out of the way, I wanted to paint a picture about me so that you understand what I'm trying to accomplish.

I have noticed that many areas in the city aren't covered by snow removal companies because of the lack of driveways. So why not just offer people to have their stairs and walkways cleared for a proportional fee to what a full driveway contract would normally cost?

My logic is:

- Equipment is pretty much shovels and that's it? I'd offer salt but it seems like that could be more trouble than what it would be worth. If I say I'll salt the steps and someone falls, it'll be my fault, but if salt was their responsibility to begin with and they fall? Can't blame the snow guy.

- Offer to mainly remove snow from stairs and walkways but could potentially also do driveways.

- Charge maybe 200-250$ for the whole season. 3/4 paid upfront.

The way I see it right now, the bulk of the overhead would be:

- Flyers to get clients
    - Fuel for the car to get to the work area (which is reduced if the bulk of clients are in the same area, leave the car and just walk from one client to another)
    - The cost of shovels
    - The cost of insurance
    - Proper clothes?
    Anything I'm missing?

I feel like I won't know for sure how this will go until I actually get in there and do it. Just wanted to see what you guys thought, maybe there's something that was overlooked... I thank you in advance for your experience and words wisdom!

Thank you all :)

- mtloz, aka the noob who doesn't really know what he's getting himself into but is eager to find out.

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I think you could make a go if it. If I could find someone that was reliable I would think about subbing out my sidewalks.

3. mtloz

mtloz Junior Member

If you don't mind my asking, how much % would you think your sidewalk represents out of your full contract?

4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I do not have any seasonal, They are billed out depending on how much snow for each snowfall. So - depending on how much sidewalk $10-$25. We average 25 billable snow falls- so $250 to $625 per account.

5. Perry.

Perry. Member

Go for it!! let us know how it works out.

6. mtloz

mtloz Junior Member

Does this mean I'm more or less in the right track?

7. Perry.

Perry. Member

No it just means I'm curious to see how it works out that's all..

8. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

My logic is:

- Equipment is pretty much shovels and that's it? I'd offer salt but it seems like that could be more trouble than what it would be worth. If I say I'll salt the steps and someone falls, it'll be my fault, but if salt was their responsibility to begin with and they fall? Can't blame the snow guy.

Your logic is flawed ... The snow guy can get the blame

9. mtloz

mtloz Junior Member

How? or rather... why? If you're not being paid to drop salt on my stairs, it means it's my responsibility no? So if I fall, how can I blame the guy that whose job wasn't even to handle that? Wouldn't that be the same as blaming god or karma?

10. cbservicesllc

cbservicesllc PlowSite Fanatic

A good lawyer might just try and sue God or Karma

11. mtloz

mtloz Junior Member

As long as he doesn't sue me...

12. cbservicesllc

My point is that a good lawyer can sue you... You are paid to clear the walk, someone slips, they argue you didn't clear the walk...

13. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

Get a 1-2 mil liability policy so if you are sued your covered. Other than that, get of PS and go do some marketing. You have it down (besides the fact its late in the season). Go start knocking on doors and trying to sell your wares.

14. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Unless you have neighbours beside each other walking between sites will tire you out completely and may be better off you have car/truck standing by to hop in and out of between sites. Shovel only.....you will regret that. You will likely want a couple shovels....different sizes/ styles, single stage blower, car/truck, trailer or ramps for said truck. Probably a truck..... You mentioned car.....they don't do great in deep snow, considering you will hopefully be out before plowsite and salters. Insurance is a must! Record keeping will save your ass there is someone does fall....meaning when you shovelled, how much snow, problems such as downspouts leading onto walkways..... Many factors. I think you have a lot more to think about than flyers and a shovel. Best of luck.

15. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

This is exactly why your logic is flawed.

16. cbservicesllc

And by no means am I trying to discourage the guy... I just think well written contracts and insurance are a must for him

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015