1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hello from a newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Leanworks, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Leanworks

Leanworks Member

I do pretty good hauling grain and ag products around the local area and run my own trucks. Looked out the window last year to see a foot of snow on my rig and hoped I wouldn't be called out to snake my 90 foot, 140,000 lb rig up and down icey unplowed hills and valleys but, sure enough, I was. As I picked up my frozen trailers, I stopped for coffee at my mech's shop. He was fixing something on one of his bobcats. I said that next year, I might get a pickup or even put something on the front of the other semi and plow snow in town until it is off the highways. He said that I could work for him unitl the roads are cleared as that's what he was doing with his two bobcats.

I ended up buying an F350 with a deck to use as a service truck for cheap, a low mile engine to throw into it and, am now contemplating putting a plow onto it. I'd rather use my own stuff than my buddy's but, either way, being single with a hungry tax man ready to take what I don't put to use, why not I figure?

By the time I get this altogether all contracts will thankfully be taken so I won't be under any pressure but, the equipment will be paid for and ready to use to either help my buddy, amaze friends and family or just sit around doing nothing. I would hwever, like to take advantage of something so at least I can replace the bucks I am missing while sliding up and down the unplowed highways and, gain some experience so that possibly, next year, I can put a plow on the front of my double framed semi and have a small outfit of sorts to either join with others or, actually get a contract.

Here, I have bucketfull of friends who can either drive my semi to do the grain work, mech the service truck or do plowing as lots of them are part time in the winter or, laid off till spring. I guess you can say that I'm interested in this as it seems like a natural thing to do given the stuff I have yet, I don't want to be freaked on pressure as I don't have a shmick yet wish to diversify and invest in another business to eventually get me off the highway and back into concrete work as a private hauler.

I was reading the threads and was interested in one where the guy was going to take on some Target stores. While it seemed silly to me for him to jump into that magnitude of a task with the potential penalties involved which he was unaware of, one posted suggestion for him was to have him act as a subcontractor for the person who might be taking on this task. A contractor who might find himself in need of an extra plow here and there. Is there work for this sort of thing and, can a person who is not cash strapped pick up work here and there throughout the winter and have a bit of education shoved up his @ iin prep for next year?. Possibly just throw a sign n the side of the truck with a phone number and just do a driveway here and there when the phone rings?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Better check on insurance first.
    Second...use the "search" button to find many more answers to your post.
    3rd....welcome to PS
  3. Leanworks

Leanworks Member

Hi Hydro. Already insured for plowing when I added it to my fleet policy as a service truck and welder. As for the search, lots about sub contracting but none which gave me advice to my particular situation and opportunity.

My question;
    And thanks for the welcome!
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Driving around with a plow truck with a sign on it will get you some calls during a snow storm.
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome to PS, very intelligent question.

I would check with some of the larger contractors in your area (if there are any) and ask.

I would think it would be very likely to come up with some work to fit your situation.
  6. Leanworks

Leanworks Member

Thanks guys. Got the first pre winter blow here today (1 - 2") and a couple of the smaller operators were talking with me at my pal's shop when I stopped in to check in on the new ride. Once they confirmed I wasn't a competitor but rather a resource getting a plow to sub and just working for my buddy, things seemed to open up pretty good. They gave some advice on the plow I should get and then one of the suggested that instead of the plow, since I'd be running one ofmy buddy's bobcats most of the time, I go for a sander as that seemed to be the item missing from all three of their operations and, a lot of others.

Reading the criteria on this site of being prepared by having a supply of sand and salt positioned prior to the year, my argument against this was that I have no supply of salt or sand but, it seems that the country sells the stuff, less than a mile from town for a very slight mark up during working hours and, during snow removal operations The agreement was that I have at one automatic customer (my buddy) and two dedicated. So, seems that things have taken a logical, yet unexpected turn.

Moving onto read up on sanders now..............:help: