1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hello Forum-quick question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by d&r, Dec 29, 2010.

1. d&r

d&r Member

Hello everybody, just join the forum last night.

I have subed for 2 contractors last season, and in my younger years jumped into a plow truck when there was a need for a extra driver. This year the wife and I decided to set off on our own took out a small blood loan put in place every thing we needed except for 1 thing and I will get to that. We have secured 9 accounts for this season, they consist of 1 hotel, 2 plazas, 1 goverment building, 1 Starbucks, 1 Industrial, 1 condo association, and 2 residential driveways. We are also SIMA Members. The current plow truck I have is a 93' 2500 Silverado Western Unimount 8ft, with a Buyer gate spreader.

The wife handles all the billing and accounting, Our oldest son handles sidwalks, and I do the rest.

This past snow event due to the amount of lake effect snow we got more snow than anticipated. So I fell behind. I have a 1996 Suburban 2500, 4x4, HD for instensive purposes (4:10 rearend, HD brakes, and suspension oil and trans cooler).

I have always plowed with a P/U and I dont have a back-up or spare truck, does anybody have any experiences and suggestions plowing with a Suburban. I see guys using Tahoes and Broncos for plow trucks but they have a shorter wheelbase than the Suburban.

2. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

As a former Suburban owner, I would think it would work great.

Just remember, when loading counter weight in the rear, that what ever you use is inside the vehicle with you. Secure that weight accordingly.

3. d&r

d&r Member

Since I carry on average 1000# of baged salt in the P/U I dont have too many issues with the lack of counter weight untill the end of my route.

Any idea as far as how much counter weight I should start off with and suggestions on securing or anchoring the counter weight. I do have tie down d-rings in the cargo areas but will that suffice.

4. The Suburban should work fine, afterall it is basically an SUV body on a pickup frame. I would have recommended you should have had a backup plan in place prior to signing the contracts though, whether that be a backup truck of your own or a written arrangement for someone to help ya out should the need arise. The biggest issue I see with people just getting into snow removal on their own is that one major event happens (large snowfall, equipment breakdown etc) and they don't have an adequate CYA plan in place and get overrun and lose customers they just got. Plan for the worst case and hope for the best case. Best of luck to you guys and hope the snow gods treat ya well!

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

It doesn't have to be inside.

2 - 1 1/4" plates of steel welded together does the trick very nicely. Goes into the receiver and fab a couple braces to your frame and you have 700lbs of ballast working for you without pimping out your cargo room.

Not to mention the added protection for you....:D

P1230975.jpg

P1230975.jpg

6. d&r

d&r Member

Nice set up, care to weld me up one? but that gave me some ideas. Thank You.

7. TCLA sweet system, great to see a little bit of ingenuity!!!!!

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

suburban will work fine....install some fans in the rear to aid in defrosting the windows
    tube sand in the back with a strap over it for weight

9. d&r

d&r Member

Thank you everybody for your input, I have made the decision to rig the Suburban for plowing, I have a unimount frame from a 96 2500 P/U, Talked to a local place here Regional Truck the cost for install is less than $1000.00 with hardware, wiring and controler. As far as the fans it has dual zone heating with vents and duct work all the way back. This will be a better investment than buying another truck and trying to find space to park it or have to pay for a place. I figure if I pick up a spreader, and keep salt in the cargo area that will take care of my the counter weight. Currently the truck is used for "Da SWC" as they like to call themselves (sidewalk crew).

10. d&r

d&r Member

Anybody in the Ohare' Airport area have a Receiver mount spreader for sale?

11. Just one thought about putting a spreader on there....It will be difficult to access your cargo area with the spreader in the way.

12. d&r

d&r Member

Good Point .... sand bags it is... Thanks Everybody!!

13. Best of luck to ya.....

14. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Welcome to Plowsite. Your are on your way. I still would get a back up driver and truck just in case and be willing to help him out if needed. Good Luck!

15. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Where you putting your dog then?

16. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Front Seat riding Shot Gun....:rolleyes:...BTW...Nice Bumper...:waving:

17. South Seneca

That Bumper weight is a great idea!
    I think I'll build one for my 2500 pick-up. Any pics of how the braces attach to the frame? What is the vertical dimension of the plate?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  18. d&r

d&r Member

Yes it is, and if I had the equipment and time I would so build one. I suppose I could see what a shop would charge me to build one.

19. South Seneca

I was considering building one with thinner, removable plates, that a couple guys could lift on and off, since I don't have any way to lift 700 lbs. It would be easy enough to put a few hefty grade 8 bolts through to hold the plates on. I'd probably tack weld the heads to the main framework so they won't push through when adding weight.

20. South Seneca

Would you start a thread about this bumper weight? It's too cool for people who might skip over this thread to miss.