1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELLO EVERYONE- need some advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rush, Oct 7, 2006.

1. rush

rush Member

Great site!

Anyhow, this is going to be my 1st year plowing and boy OH boy, am i excited for the snow to fly.
    I'll give you some background before i ask my question...
    I have a 94 Chevy silverado (k1500 w/305). I bought the truck with a 3" body lift and 33x12.5 tires on 15 inch rims. I found what seems to be a decent used plow last week and having it installed on Wednesday!!. It is a western 7-1/2 ' standard poly, and the shop i bought it from just serviced it and gave me a 1yr warranty with it too.
    Well, my question has to do with my tires and body lift...The guy that sold me the plow mentioned that my 33 inch tires might not be the best for plowing so I'm thinking of getting different tires, other than the way they look on the truck i never really liked the 33's anyhow. They seem to be a bit much for the 305..pulling power sucks, they are tough on my ball joints and my gas mileage sucks. I've been afraid to go back to the stock 16" rims and stock tires because i don't want to be "that guy" driving down the road with a lift kit and funny looking small tires! Does anyone know if i do go back to my stock 16" rims what size tire i can put on it that would be good for plowing and not make me look funny.
    Any other info or suggestions on my current plow set up would be great as well!
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2006

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i dont see the tires as causing much of a problem. i use to plow with 35's on my old truck
    i would wait to see how the truck does your first yr and them decide if you need to change the tires.

3. dbcmjp

dbcmjp Junior Member

I had a 94 and had 285/75 R16 and it looked good!
  4. rush

rush Member

did it have a 3" lift?
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

lol, does it look good???

But what will the girls think???

Your plowing snow.. function before fashion.

285/75 R16s are as Big and Wide as I would go, especially on a 1500.
    If you run a tire like this make sure you have a lot of weight over the rear tires.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  6. rush

rush Member

haha..Thanks for the advice... and sarcasm. Where i come from "girls" don't dig trucks, they dig corvette's and Porsche's! Where the heck you from?? :)

Seriously though, have you ever seen a lifted truck with small tires?? its a joke.

I'll look into the tires you suggested though, thanks bro!
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I have a 94 F150 (still for sale) and it has a 3" body lift and I have 31x10.50x15 Cooper Discovery's and I plows just fine. Usually you want a more narrow tire so as not to "float" on top of the snow rather than goint "through" it. BTW-what did you pay for that truck?
  8. rush

rush Member

5k, but that was 2 years ago.
  9. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

OH yes, the guys that can only afford to do half of the project. There is a guy a couple town over from me that drives arounf in this old beater 2500 crew cab with probably a 6" or even an 8" lift. He runs stock rusted wheels and bald stock tires. I have never seen anything look so dumb. I would be worried about rolling the thing. I think that you should be fine with the 33s. They aren't THAT big. I'd give thema shot first. See what theya r elike in the first snow (hopefully a small storm incase they are really bad) and then go from there.