1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hello everyone!I have a question about my plow.PLEASE help me if you can.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Nascar Fan, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

First things first,I would like to say hello and nice to meet you all.I have been lurking here for a while but never had a snowplow.I have a few years as a mechanic on just about everything,but i know i havent seen,heard or done it all-im only 33 years old.I live in upstate New York in the Lake George area.I must say before getting into my plow problem that there is quite a few knowledgable people here about plows and equipment and that is good to know.If anyone has a mechanical problem with thier vehicle i may be able to help out,and it would be a pleasure to do so.I have a 1988 Toyota pickup with a V6,& automatic transmission.(Go easy on the Toyota jokes-It was my dads until we lost him last year at the ripe old age of 58).I will start from scratch with this thing because it gets real strange.It is a Fisher Minute mount electric over hydraulic plow.At the end of last year the plow motor would spin but would not raise the plow unless you assisted it by picking it up while someone else held the toggle in the raise position.At this time it would go side to side and lower(gravity down)fine.Now since bringing the truck home,it would not go up,down or side to side.When you tried to raise it the pump just spins with no movement,and it would not lower,like the ram was frozen.If you try to go side to side it would act like it was stuck and just move maybe a 1/4 inch each way.I unhooked the plow out of frustration and left it in my yard for a few weeks. I got to thinking later that it was kind of stupid not to at least try to figure it out.A(a piece of anything is only as smart as it's builder)Now since re-installing the plow it went up& down about 5 times and then it started it's i cant pick up the plow without help routine and no side to side keep in mind the motor always spins but no movement.Now as of yesterday for kicks and giggles i turned the switch on and it goes side to side fine and wont go up or down.What is going on here?ANY ideas? i am about to take ti off the truck and just carry my snowblower around instead of the plow.Sorry for the long post i am just trying to be complete with my problem to maybe help someone with a fix.THANKS, Tom

2. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

you might try draining the hydrolic fluid and putting fresh in from the sound of it you might have air in the lines if it works fine after you change and bleed out the air then that prob was your problem now unhook and rehook if it does it again you probaly have air being induced intoo the system at hookup if thats the case check your fittings to see where its getting the air in at

3. Plow Dak

Plow Dak Member
    from Maine

Hey Nascar Fan
    Welcome to plow site.
    For a start you seem to change the situation every time you unhook and rehook the plow. Even if it's a temporary thing. I would check the fluid level for a matter of course and then have a hard look at your connectors. Make sure they are clean and tight.
    No green slime inside etc. My fisher did some wierd things and like you it changed after disconnect. I'm sure you will get lots of other replys. You might want to do a search also. Maybe something will come up on that in a previous discussion.
    Good luck to you.

4. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Had the same problem a few years ago on a Fisher. Topped off fluid and cleaned the contectors real good and coated them with Dielectiric Grease. Now I keep the connectors coated with the grease and I have not had a problem since.

5. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Ok is there a certain type fluid for the plow or do i use say tractor type hydraulic fluid?It looks like my other brother put ATF in it cause it's full at the allen screw now.Btw,what is the best/easiest way to bleed this thing?Thanks for the answers everyone.Oh and yes my connectors are clean and silver but i will dieelectric grease them for some pm.

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Is your hydro ump out front or under the hood.
    Dino

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

It sounds to me like the pump isn't getting oil. I'm not familiar with the Fisher pump set up, but I would drain the oil and flush the reservoir. If there's a filter on the pump pickup tube, make sure this is clean too.

8. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

The ram and motor-electric one is on the plow unit on the front outside the truck.I am assuming by design the pump unit itself is probably under the electric motor assy.?Is there a filter to this unit?

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd agree with Pelican. Your pump is probably not getting fluid. I had the same thing last winter. I'd checked and filled the reservior. What I didn't realize was that a bunch of air had gotten trapped. Finally got the air worked out and it's worked fine since.

10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

11. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Get a hydraulic pressure gauge and put a 1/4 inch fitting on it(a 3000psi gauge is realativly inexpensive),on the bottom left of you lift cylinder is a plug,take the plug out and screw the gauge in and raise the plow completely(or try anyways!)you should get a reading of around 1750 psi,if not there is a adjustment screw on top of the pump(pull the motor off the unit and you'll be looking right at it,your filter will be right on the pump also)turning the screw 1/4 turn clockwise will increase pressure about 225psi.Give that a try,it's important to find out the what that thing is putting out for pressure though first.

12. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Ok i have an update,I made a complete mess on the garage floor and found this,i pulled the allen head screw out from the bottom of the lift ram and a little fliud came out.I left it out and hit the controller to the up position and i now have fluid all over the garage floor.I then re-installed that screw and snugged it up and pulled the other allen head screw out from the front of the ram on the upper side of the ram,and when i got that one almost out i got a little bit of a spit of fluid and a bit of pressure out of it-almost like someone squeezed the trigger on my air gun but no movement yet-if that makes sense to anyone.Now i cant get fluid back into my pump--at least even close to whats out on my garage floor and still cant get it to go up or down.It does have a sticker on it that says to use ATF so thats what im using.Thank eveyone for thr help and suggestions,i would not have have made it this far without you--again thanks--Tom

13. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Ok i have an update,I made a complete mess on the garage floor and found this,i pulled the allen head screw out from the bottom of the lift ram and a little fliud came out.I left it out and hit the controller to the up position and i now have fluid all over the garage floor.I then re-installed that screw and snugged it up and pulled the other allen head screw out from the front of the ram on the upper side of the ram,and when i got that one almost out i got a little bit of a spit of fluid and a bit of pressure out of it-almost like someone squeezed the trigger on my air gun but no movement yet-if that makes sense to anyone.Now i cant get fluid back into my pump--at least even close to whats out on my garage floor and still cant get it to go up or down.It does have a sticker on it that says to use ATF so thats what im using.Thank eveyone for thr help and suggestions,i would not have have made it this far without you--again thanks--Tom btw side to side still works great.

14. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Facing the pump,next to the bottom of the lift ram, there should be a 1/2" pipe plug. Remove that plug and refill there.
    ATF should be fine but use dextron 3. Once you have the trouble fixed,you can replace the fluid with fisher hydro oil.
    Dino

15. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I think you need to bleed the system by taking the hose loose, put into a source of ATF or hydraulic fluid and manually work moldboard side to side to get the air out.

I'm not sure of the web address, but Chuck has a site that describes it better.

16. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

17. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

18. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Ok just an update from last night.I was just pulling the hair out of my head last night---because i took a good bath of atf in the face and hair---man tht stuff is a pain in the big Jim and the twins to get out.anyway,here it goes I filled the pump replaced the cap.I then tried to pick up the plow but still get no movement.I then pulled the allen screw that is just under the lift ram and it made this quick POP and spit fluid all over-----(Just a nice reminder here for you garage guys--ALWAYS wear safety glasses--really with the force and amount that came out of that thing last night,I was glad to be wearing them because it happend SO FAST i didnt have time to look away.anyway, i replaced that screw and re filled the pump again.I replaced the fill plug and tried to run it up again.And again i get a huge shot of air and some fluid but never any movement.Now if this screw under the ram is the pressure side,why am i getting that much air not a lot of fluid,and why even with all the screws out can i not get the ram all the way down even standing or jumping up and down on the ram?Is there something stupid im doing/missing because i will admit i have the I.Q. of plant life with hydraulics.I can fix any mechanical problem but this seems forien to me right now.Maybe some time tring to fix this thing is all i need.