1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hello and a Question!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Moss Man, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

As with most people that join a forum, I have some questions that brought me here.

My friends call me Moss and I am from Central Maine.

I plowed residentially years ago and now am getting back into it on a small scale.

I bought a 2005 Chevy 3500 single rear wheel 4x4 last month and it has all the gear on the truck for a Minute Mount 2, the seller wanted the X-Blade for his new truck so I got the truck without the off truck part(blade, headgear and lights).

I am torn on what width plow gear to get. The 8.5 seems best suited to my needs, but they are rarer than the 8' and 9' blades. I plow 10 residential driveways and a couple are quite long. A 9' blade will be a tight squeeze through my garage door. A 8' might be too narrow to effeciently handle the larger drives I have. The V-Plows are out of the question right now, I want to stick with the controls that are currently on the truck.

Some people I have talked to locally swear by the 9' blades and others like the 8' just fine.

A local used Fisher Plow dealer has two 9' MM 1's for sale with the 3-wire set-ups, one is $1600 and the other is $2000. and they are both the complete off truck units. Apparently these will work with the gear on my truck. He usually has some 8' MM 2 set-ups on hand, maybe one of those and some pro-wings?

I'd pull my hair out, but I am already bald! :salute::help:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  2. bob00

bob00 Senior Member

it all depen on location here on residential 7.5 8 ft max 9 ft no way you can always make a second pass to clear larger lot but you cant make your plow shorter to pass in thight spot

the head gear on mm1 had some tendency to crak at some place according to the number of mm1 all weld up i see il the classfied ad mm2 is tuffer they bolth fitt your truck mount as for the wire i let some other peppol help you

3. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I visited the local shop that sells used Fisher Plows today and ended up getting the Minute Mount 2 8' straight blade with a cutting edge and the rubber foil bolted to the top of the blade. It has the older style lights which I like a little better as far as them not being the way so much looking down across the hood over them.

The 9' blade that I thought I wanted just looked to darn wide for my truck considering I drive 20 miles to get to the driveways I plow. With the 8' I should be able to drive in the garage with ease to take the plow off and have a level place to reinstall it.

If the 8' doesn't seem wide enough, I can trade up next year.

$2500. out the door.

Moss