1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hello 1st commercial

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by stillen, Sep 23, 2008.

1. stillen

stillen Senior Member

I was asked to bid on a lot. on a per storm basis. First push starts at 2 inches. Owner says to just keep it clean until storm ends.

Area inside yellow is where I need to keep clean, Red area is where I can stack/push

Total parking spaces about 35-40. No dumpsters, islands...

2. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Im looking real hard....i dont see anything. Unless it snowed so hard u could not keep up with it. Thats prob why the screen is white, i dont think the owner will be happy!:realmad:

3. stillen

stillen Senior Member

DARN linux machines... hold on i gots to create the pic again...

4. stillen

stillen Senior Member

I was asked to bid on a lot. on a per storm basis. First push starts at 2 inches. Owner says to just keep it clean until storm ends.

Area inside yellow is where I need to keep clean, Red area is where I can stack/push

Total parking spaces about 35-40. No dumpsters, no islands... , NO sand, no salt..... just push the snow so customers can park... NO walkways either... I drove the lot as I was plwoing at 4-5 mph... looks to take between 1.5-2 hours for a good clean job.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  5. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I could do that lot in 30 mins, that looks like an easy push. Most companies have a 1 hour min so just charge yoru hourly rate each visit. As for what you should charge, I dont know really, I sub for someone else, lol

6. stillen

stillen Senior Member

I could do it faster,but I am new to the business, and just don't want to damage anything, property, etc.... I did drive it, and pretended i was pushing ad it took 1 hour or so driving around a few cars, i figured with snow i should double it, i dont have a v blade or wings..... I was also told dont let the snow get over 7 inches high or i'd have to plow with blade raised a bit, then go back and do it again... again, this is just me wanting to be extra careful.

7. stroker79

Well if there are cars in the lot when you plow, all your going to be able to do really is plow the main/only isle as wide as possible and thats it. I wouldnt try to plow aevery individual spot in between cars. If there are a few spots open, clear those, hopefully the few idiot driver will park there and then you can eventually migrate everyone to the clean spots they they come/go. It wont be until night time or when the cars are gone that you will be able to make it spotless. That lot, as pictured with the cars in it would take 30 mins, giver or take 10 mins depending on how busy the lot is. If you charge him for 1.5-2 hours per visit, I seriously doubt youll get it unless your rate is VERY low.

8. stillen

stillen Senior Member

thanks for input so far.. the "going rate" from the guys in this ciy is between 65-90 an hour depending on the size truck .......

9. stroker79

I am having serious spellin issues today!

To plow that lot, the first thing I would do is push the entrances in or windrow it to the sides, backdrag a few spots into the center of the isle, then start pushing it from one end to the other and stack it up and as far back as possible. You could even split it and push half one way and the other half the other way. otherwise Id just windrow it away from the building until its over the curbline.

10. ManorD24

ManorD24 Member

I wouldnt touch a 2" snow fall for any less than $175.00 per push. It is a pretty easy lot though, less than an hour. Not sure what your market is like but the $65 -$90 hr is pretty low. That sounds more like a sub contractor rate than and owner / operator rate.

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

5,6,000 for the season. No worry about how many times to charge him. Bill it 5 equal payments.

12. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

GV I hope you ment 5000-6000 for the season. lol @ 56,000

13. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

30 minute push at most.
    that's about as easy as it gets.
    Use your minimum or half your hourly rate.
    Figure out how many times it snows and go from there.

here, that's probably a $100 lot (plus salt, which we don't do here)

You might take an hour and bid accordingly, but someone else can do it in a 1/2 hour and they are going to bid accordingly and you're not going to get the job.